Urgent! My Dog's found (rabbits)

lilshadow

Songster
12 Years
Jan 8, 2008
Milaca, MN
A nest of baby rabbits. I have not idea what do, these little guys can't be more than a few days old.. How do I take care of these little guys? Any help would be great
Thanks

But them back. Rabbit moms only stop by a couple times a day as a means to keep predators from finding the nest. If you can put them back in the same spot and keep them safe from the dog, that is their best chance. You can cover the next with string, heck back 24hrs later, if string is disturbed, mom came back. If not, call a rehabber.

Rabbits are VERY HARD to rehab. Very sensitive to stress from noise and smells. I am a certified rehabber...for many years....rabbits are hard to care for. handle as little as possible to reduce stress and keep the chance of them living up!

Good luck. Your local vet should have a name of a rehabber in your area if you cant put them back.

In most cases they die, Stress is a big factor..
Can't you leave them where the dog found them???

As kids we found baby rabbits on the playground and took thm into the class room.

The Teacher was hoping mad, She took them back out and the mother cam back..

I always hear the mother will not return to a disturbed nest but I know that is not always true.

GOOD LUCK - I wish I had better advice for you.

Put them back. Rabbits will die if you look at them funny. They stress out so easily, they just die. If you can't put them back, find a rehab person. Good luck.

I put the little guys back the way the mom had them. I really hope that she comes back. When I saw what they were I paniced because I was afraid my dogs would go back and kill them. My son looked on the dnr website for MN, and read about what to do. My husband was very angry with me, but I just paniced. I hope that I didn't kill the little guys. I feel horrible for what I did. Hopefully she will come back. Thanks for allof the help.

i hope she came back! i raised two baby rabbits, one baby squirrel, one baby opossum, and 4 baby birds... i live in the country, and well,, thanks to my dogs..for there help finding them..
hmm.png

anywase, they all lived. and are all back out in the wild. (except for one red cardinel. i hd to take him to a rehab center. he had a perminantly broken leg... and i didnt want to keep him inside in a cage. they had a huge net cage with other cardinels for him...)

More than likely the mother will not accept them when she comes back, she will smell your dogs and you on them and either kill them or leave them. Its a cold hard thing but after raising rabbits, I have learned the hard way! I really hope she proves me wrong though. If you find she hasnt come back you can go to walmart and pick up kitten formula and a kitten bottle or a childrens sirynge, and hand feed them, but it is alot of work!

I think putting them back is giving them the best chance they will have. Hopefully mom will come back and they will do fine.

A couple years ago we found our dogs w/ some. No idea where they got them so no way of putting them back. They were very young, one was wet and bleeding, I just knew it wouldn't make it, but I took them both and set them up on a heating pad. The blood dried and by the end of the day you couldn't even tell which one it was! I managed to raise them, I didn't touch them, I always wrapped them in a rag to feed them and they both grew and thrived. Neither were ever tame and both shoot off into the grass as soon as they were let loose. Before these I'd never had any luck raising any so young, I always heard touching them was bad, so I'm guessing that was the major difference.

It's funny how some bottle raised creatures will imprint on you and be completely tame and others will always be WILD.

Back
Top Bottom