Urgent Please! Hen has huge hole below vent - Fly Strike Confirmed

Flies are nasty little things. They don't take long to cause problems on a pasty vent in Spring, Summer, or Fall. The area gets irritated, the bird picks at it, a wound develops, a fly lays eggs, and maggots will burrow in there. I keep an eye on vents and trim feathers on some of the more bushy breeds. I check the birds' vents while they roost at night to make it easier. One time I had a hen with a infested wound, sprayed the wound with Prozap screw worm aerosol, and maggots poured out of that wound quick. I then cleaned the wound with betadine, and sprayed some permethrin around the the vent to prevent further problems.The bird healed fine and lived a healthy life. That was called learning the hard way. I also hang a few fly traps in strategic areas outside to cut down the population.

She's alive this morning! I kept her in my bathroom last night so she is warm and quiet. I'm hoping she will drink her water mixed with Duramycin.
Micheal Apple....Where do you buy the Prozap screw worm aerosol?

I learnt the hard way with my rabbit of a few years back. They also suffer with fly strike especially when they are a bit overweight and can't clean their bums properly. I used to do her with spray and wash her bum each week and they still got her. She went on a course of antibiotics and it took my husband and I an hour to pick all the maggots out of her wound. The vet said it can happen really quick over the space of a few days.
I'm super vigilant now over the chickens I have a couple that aren't always as "well turned out" as the others and they are used to getting an impromptu bath :)

Make sure she takes in fluids , use a needleless syringe if needs be. I added a little sugar to the water for my poorly chick and dripped a bit onto the end if her beAk so that it runs into her mouth. I also used baby vitamins without iron in her water.
Hope she's ok, my heart goes out to you both x:hugs

Thanks so much. I'm going to my local TSC to get the fly spray. She will not drink so that's my next hurdle. If I squirt it in her mouth it may go down the wrong "tube" so this will be tricky.

You can also try tube feeding for her nutrition and liquids. In a pinch I was told by a vet to use clean small fish air tube for a tube. Its about perfect size. you can lube the tube with cooking oil in order to make insertion easier. Then place the feeding syringe over the tube and expel contents of the syringe down the tube intro her crop. Best food for tube feeding is by Kaytee its called Exact baby bird food.it flows nicely down the tube with ease and is nutritionally sound with omegas vitamins and probotics. Its a powder mixed with water. I URGE you to tube feed because this will help her get the nutrition And fluids she so desprately needs. Usually one can't give what they need in the lines of nutrition or fluids without tube feeding. Force feeding without a tube runs a risk of aspiration and its too difficult to force the amount needed without a tube.tube feeding can help save her life! It's very nerving at first to do I understand I've done it but it will greatly benifit her in the long run. So please consider tube feeding her to help her gain her strength back. The less food and water she gets the weaker she will become. Tubing will help her be stronger and could very well help save her life. I really hope this helps and sincerely hope you consider tube feeding her. Wishing you the best. .

Thank you for your help, all of you. I don't feel comfortable tube feeding because I'm scared to death I screw it up and kill her. I may resort to it if she doesn't drink on her own. She's getting some water mixed with antibiotic using a needleless syringe. I went to TSC and got Prolap Screw Worm Aerosol, Vetericyn Wound & Skin Care Spray, and Swat Fly Repellent Ointment. I just used the Prolap Screw Worm and watched for any maggots to come out but didn't see any. After an hour I will soak the area and trim feathers. Once dry I will apply the Vetericyn Spray every 4 hours.
I hope she makes it...

Back
Top Bottom