URGENT - Should I put my chicken down?

My heart goes out you. That’s a hard thing to witness your bird going through and even harder to know what to do and when.

The main character in my favorite fictional book series, Orphan X, has a personal commandment he holds himself to that I’ve found to be so valuable many times in life: “When you don’t know what to do, do nothing”.

The late Dr. Steven Sample (former President of USC) says essentially the same thing in his book titled “The Contrarians Guide to Leadership”, of which he calls ‘thinking gray and thinking free’. The wisdom there is that nearly every time there will be changes or things that happen which would change our decisions. Let things play out as much as possible when you’re not sure of your actions needed.

Most likely you will know when you need to act and what you need to do to be at peace within yourself. Being at peace with doing the very best you could in this situation is what’s important, because you have to live with you.

You’ve already gone above and beyond any expectations anyone could place on you, to try to do the right thing. Do whatever you need to be at peace with you and use this situation moving forward into the future to be even more grateful and get even more enjoyment in the many daily gifts these amazing birds give to us every day.

Thank you all for your replies. For some reason I was not getting notifications of the replies so I'm sorry I didn't chime in sooner. @choppedliver @lagrange chicks @Lillith37 @Wyorp Rock. I really do appreciate your kindness and taking the time to reply.

Here's where I'm at right now. I want to keep this thread updated to help any future chicken owners who might be scouring the internet for similar stories, like I did. :) Sometimes people post and run and we never know the outcome.

I just don't have the heart to put her down ATM. We only have 6 chicks and I'm home a lot so I don't mind giving her extra care when needed. I want to give her a chance.

Anyway, I have an appointment with an exotic vet on Friday - hoping that can get pushed sooner. The original vet said not to wait too long but she seems to be doing OK so I would like to at least get a second opinion. I have to be careful with the skin, she is starting to get some abrasions, and while I put some Hen Healer on it, it rubs off. I tried wrapping the hock in some gauze very loosely but who knows if that will stay on.

She is still eating and drinking and I am also giving her pain meds that I have from the vet. Will keep you updated after the appointment.
Please keep us posted on how she's doing.

If she's getting abrasions from moving around/resting on the leg, etc. Then it is a good idea to wrap it to protect it better.

Gauze may not stay on very well. When you can, get some Sports Wrap (vet wrap, athletic tape/wrap, coban). It will stick to itself and is much easier to work with. I use it to wrap foot/legs on my birds when needed and I also keep a good supply for in the home first aid. I usually buy in bulk off amazon, but you should be able to find individual rolls at Walmart, CVS, Dollar General, etc.
Depending on how she's resting and where the abrasions are, you may need to add a small gauze "cushion" to the area, then wrap.

Keep us posted on how she's doing and what the vet says.

Back
Top Bottom