Urgent. Sick Rooster Lying down w labored breathing in isolation cage.

I would put some towels or bedding underneath
him in his crate, to make him more comfortable. Then, I would leave him alone with his medicated water. Try not to stress him. Roosters are Hugh strung and can be stressed easily. Offer some food. Stop the vitamins, since B vitamins should not be given with Corid. So do one or the other.

Has he been with your other chickens all along since he has been there? If so, he might have been infected by your flock or they by him, so there is no need to keep him separated now. He might be less stressed if he is with the hens (unless you have other roosters.)
Thank you for taking the time to share thoughts. I’ve had hens before but this is my first rooster. I am glad to know they are sensitive. He has medicated water and some egg and all flock if he wants. Breathing very labored! No vitamins in his water.

I hope it’s okay to keep him separate tonight. His foot looks pretty bad.

Attachments

• IMG_2849.jpeg
    IMG_2849.jpeg
    348.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2848.jpeg
    IMG_2848.jpeg
    504.2 KB · Views: 13
He has some rales when he is breathing on exhale! Some crackling. I can get my head close to listen. Still can’t hear heartbeat. I have 50% hearing though so if it’s very faint I won’t get it.
Eyes are clear…no watering, no sneezing.

In the first pic, I can see some frostbite on the tips of the comb. Could the whole comb be black from frostbite? New pictures in good light tomorrow would be good. Do his feet and toes look okay, or is there any color change there? I would stop trying to listen to his heartbeat, and let him rest. The more you mess with him tonight, the more stressed he will be. If he is having respiratory distress, there is not a whole lot that can be done. But more stress could push him over the edge. I will check back on him in the morning.

In the first pic, I can see some frostbite on the tips of the comb. Could the whole comb be black from frostbite? New pictures in good light tomorrow would be good. Do his feet and toes look okay, or is there any color change there? I would stop trying to listen to his heartbeat, and let him rest. The more you mess with him tonight, the more stressed he will be. If he is having respiratory distress, there is not a whole lot that can be done. But more stress could push him over the edge. I will check back on him in the morning.
Thank you. Will do.

Update….he’s eating, drinking, and giving me the stank eye. Ready and willing to fight me to not get his foot bandage changed.
His comb is much redder!
Butt is still messy but stools look good. I can’t see mites. I’ll let vet decide what to do.
He has vet appointment at 2 tomorrow to treat the bumblefoot.

We just bought this place and it is neglected. Some chickens came with the property. I scrubbed out large chicken house, treated for mites last month. There is an ignored chicken from next door who comes over all the time. Could be infecting.
Also could be in the chicken house.
We are going to tear down and build a new one in next few weeks.

Thanks for everyone’s help! It helped!

Back
Top Bottom