URI in 5 day old turkey poult, need advice...

NHlakespoultry

Hatching
Mar 5, 2023
I incubate and hatch my own Narragansett turkey poults ( first year with this pair, not tested) and one that was hatched on Wednesday escaped its brooder on Thursday. I found it nearly dead, cold and not breathing, but after 20 minutes of supportive care it was breathing on its own. I put it in the incubator for another 30 minutes to help get its core temp up, gave oral glucose and electrolytes and it seemed pretty strong. I put it back in the brooder ( now resecured) and it did great. Friday night, its eyes were glued shut, so I warm compressed and gently removed cottage cheese like puss from its eye orbits and used sterile eye drops to lubricate its eyes. No wheezing or nasal discharge but a little pop sound from nares when he breathes in. Saturday, minimal crusting on one eye in pm, warm compress, got single small clump of puss out and checked mouth, saw small clump of puss draining from sinus in back of throat, which the poult cleared and swallowed. Still no real nasal discharge from nose or wheezing, same pop sound from nares but they are open and not crusty. He is in with his 5 other sibling poults, no one else is exhibiting ANY URI signs. Eating/drinking well, bright, active, alert and engaged, increasing in weight. No obvious swelling. Do I just assume this is M. gallisepticum and its flaring because of the shock on nearly dying and do supportive care, or do I treat him with antibiotics, the whole group of 6 poults? Doesn't seem like M. synoviae as no one else is ill. Any suggestions appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom