Use for eggs from duck treated with antibiotics

90 days seems a bit long I've only heard of 14 days. What was this antibiotic? I did scramble the 14 days of quarantine eggs and fed them to our dogs. Not sure about the eggshells but I'd think it would be okay to use them. I hope Midge is healing up fine?
Our vet says 30 days on any antibiotic they've prescribed so far

Depending on what antibiotic you used there may have not been studies done for a safe withdrawal period in food producing animals.

My vet explained to me that the follicles that turn into eggs can be present for up to three weeks before turning into eggs, so she has me discard eggs for three weeks after the last dose of medication. I smash the eggs and mix them up in my compost so they aren't really being wasted - but are going into my garden and growing veggies next year.

Personally I don't feel comfortable feeding the eggs to other animals because I'm worried the trace amounts will contribute to antibiotic resistance. I don't think this is an issue with being composted. I also compost the poop during the medication usage, and then use that in my garden. I could be completely wrong about this.

But maybe your vet gave you a drug that does need a 90 day withdrawal period? Maybe it has a really long half life? Maybe in order to prescribe that drug your vet legally has to recommend 90 days even though it isn't necessary? I don't know, I'm guessing.
Yes I've had this happen where one of my ducks was given an antibiotic commonly used for poultry I guess (Enro) but it's banned by the FDA for use in poultry with no withdrawal timeframe and if used you can't legally sell the eggs. Now any time an antibiotic is recommended I research it first before using it.

Thanks. So far she is walking with a little limp but the swelling has gone down. I am not sure how she injured herself (probably a drake) but she could barely put weight on it before. Our vet basically told us not to get our hopes up as duck feet and infections are hard to treat but she recommended that we try. She's such a happy and strong duck and has seemed to improve. 🤞
We were 8+ weeks treating one of our ducks bumblefoot, it was a long road but worth it and I learned a lot in the process

Yes I've had this happen where one of my ducks was given an antibiotic commonly used for poultry I guess (Enro) but it's banned by the FDA for use in poultry with no withdrawal timeframe and if used you can't legally sell the eggs. Now any time an antibiotic is recommended I research it first before using it.
Mine prescribed enrofloxacin and made me sign a waiver that said I would not eat the eggs. The "off the record" they said "we wait 30 days before we eat them".

Mine prescribed enrofloxacin and made me sign a waiver that said I would not eat the eggs. The "off the record" they said "we wait 30 days before we eat them".
Oh wow, I wasn't given anything to sign. He just prescribed as it was no different than any other and said to discard eggs for 30 days after last dose. I looked it up and wished I had known or they had informed me so I could request something else. When I went in with another duck and saw a different vet from the same practice I asked what antibiotic they were gonna prescribe and why I was asking and she said Oh no, I wouldn't prescribe Enro. So that confirmed it for me.

Back
Top Bottom