Using a Broody to Raise Chicks She Did Not Hatch

WLChickenMan

In the Brooder
Mar 29, 2017
Hi,
I'm am a new chicken owner. I've always wanted chickens and a buddy had to get rid of his 5 hens(3 Red Sex Links, and 2 bantams). One of the bantams went broody and has been laying on three eggs, two of which were damaged recently before I got them and eaten by the others. I bought six chicks to increase my flock size. If I put them with the broody when the egg hatches in a few days, will she raise them? And also, the broody seems to be the low hen in the pecking order. Should I separate her from the flock with the chicks? I'm worried that since the 3 sex links are always pecking at her, they will probably beat up on the chicks.

Thanks,

WLChickenMan

Last edited:
Sorry but I am unsure of whether or not you can give her the chicks. I think you can and have seen it done, but hopefully someone more experienced with hatching will be able to give you a definitive answer.

Also, all broody hens (regardless of size) should absolutely be seperated from the flock. Put her into a dark, quiet, cosy little place with a safe nest and food and water (a pet carrier cage works well).

Good luck with brooding, hope it goes well.

Last edited:
First of all, welcome to BYC!!!! Glad you joined. :)
It depends on how the hen is to newcomers. If she's low in the pecking order, I don't think she'll be to choosey on anything and she'll probably take your new chicks in. Just watch your oncoming chick, since the older chicks will probably be curious.
As for separating the broody hen and the chicks, I think that would be the best. When I hatched chicks out, the other older birds would go after them. If the Sex Links are aggressive to the mother, they'll no doubt be cruel to her young ones.
So just try out several things. I think separation would be the best. When the chicks are old enough and have most of their feathers, then you should gradually introduce them. I think your hen will be motherly enough to take in your new editions! :) Enjoy your new flock!

Back
Top Bottom