Using a first time broody to hatch some eggs!

mmktdox

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 12, 2011
Metcalfe, Ontario, Canada
Hi gang, looking for a bit of advice here. One of my barred rocks went broody a couple of weeks ago. I tried breaking her but then a neighbor offered some fertilized eggs. She has a rooster and I don't! So Monday night I set up a nest for her. I used a milk crate and shavings (hay is too expensive here right now what with the drought). After putting a pen mark on each egg I slipped 12 eggs under her. The next morning she had pushed one of them out so I figured she thought 12 was one too many. She hasn't moved since. I put small dishes of feed and water in front of her but should I be taking her off the eggs twice a day or so to encourage her to eat and drink on her own? And she has to poop right? Any other suggestions or tips would be appreciated, we're both rookies at this!

Another first time broody owner here and first time hatching BO. Our girl has been on the nest from July 26 so hoping for chicks around Aug 15 - 16. Our girl does not leave the nest so we take her off every day or two. Are you going to candle? We did at 10 days and saw at least 5 eggs with movement and the others looked good. This is so exciting!

now would be a good time to candle as you should see good blood vessels and movement before chicks get too big. if you don't see anything, don't panic and throw everything out. give it a few more days and repeat. it's is such a great feeling when you see those litle babies moving in the shell for the first time.

Thanks all, I will try candling in a week or so, that will be ten days and I think even my inexperienced eye should be able to tell if we have success or not! I'll keep you posted.
pop.gif

Certainly our eyes are inexperienced but we checked out BYC postings for candling, reread our reference books and waited till after dark to go into the broody enclosure. What a thrill to see movement. Our broody is so sweet she doesn't like us near her but won't peck. Is your BR being naughty or nice?

I checked out the learning centre on this forum as well to learn about candling so I think we'll be able to tell fairly easily whether or not this is going to be successful. Our BR is a bit naughty, she pecks but not terribly hard. She doesn't draw blood. She also puffs up when you go into the coop. She's quite funny actually!

Back
Top Bottom