Using a sawhorse as a roost in the coop or run

SamIamNam786

Songster
Aug 10, 2023
Central NJ
I’m planning to add a second coop to the run bc one of my buffs is at the bottom of the pecking order and they never allow her to sleep on the roost. If I add a plastic playhouse with a sawhorse inside, along with a kitty litter box to nest in, would it work? They would be inside a larger secured run, which is also inside a secured fenced in yard. I’ll move both buffs into the new coop so the old one could house the Easter eggers. Worst case they don’t use it to Sleep in, but it gives additional hang out space.

How old is the BO that is not roosting?

Do you know who, specifically, is preventing her from roosting? If you could find out, you could possibly deal with the bully and resolve the problem. Is it just one hen doing it or several? Is there enough room on the roost for everyone? How many feet of roost do you have, and for how many hens (including this one)? Other than the roosting, is she well integrated with the flock? Is she allowed to eat and drink freely? If you toss scratch or treats for them, does anybody peck her and chase her away?

I’m planning to add a second coop to the run bc one of my buffs is at the bottom of the pecking order and they never allow her to sleep on the roost. If I add a plastic playhouse with a sawhorse inside, along with a kitty litter box to nest in, would it work? They would be inside a larger secured run, which is also inside a secured fenced in yard. I’ll move both buffs into the new coop so the old one could house the Easter eggers. Worst case they don’t use it to Sleep in, but it gives additional hang out space.
Please post pictures of your setup.
How much space per bird is in your coop?
How many linear feet per bird do they have?
Unless you permanently physically separate the BOs they will continue to go to the original coop with the rest of the flock.
And someone is always going to be at the bottom of the pecking order. That usually isn't a problem as long as there are plenty of resources to go around.

Unless you permanently physically separate the BOs they will continue to go to the original coop with the rest of the flock.
And someone is always going to be at the bottom of the pecking order. That usually isn't a problem as long as there are plenty of resources to go around.

Attachments

• IMG_6315.jpeg
    IMG_6315.jpeg
    565.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_6312.jpeg
    IMG_6312.jpeg
    454.6 KB · Views: 37
They do chase her away when she's trying to eat. The other of the two buffs did integrate nicely. They try to scare her, but no one has jumped or attacked her. Pecking at times, yes. I scatter food and leave a bucket feeder always available. Not sure what more to do. She's slightly smaller and I worry is it bc they aren't letting her eat?

I had a similar issue with 9 birds and 13ft of roost space. The problem was 2 bully Delawares. We added onto the coop. Doubled it and the roosting area still had 1 girl sleeping in the run. Rehomed the bullies, peace is restored. Now have a very large coop and 7 girls. Guess I gotta fill it up :D
I have 120 sq. ft in the run with five girls and 20 sq ft ft in the coop. I also have 3 roosting bars, one is 4 ft and the other are 3 bc almost 1/2 of each is taken up by the poop board. but the 2 buffs were brought 2.5 months after i set up the other 3 in the run. there is only 2-3 weeks difference in age between them all, but similar sized.

Pecking order is a thing and someone will always be at the bottom. I don't see any issue using saw horses as roosts in general, but I wouldn't be catering to the situation with a separate setup. IMO I'd just make another roost bar across the coop, perhaps a few inches higher/lower so they have options and the dominant ones will probably want the upper bar. My chickens are savages to one another when it comes time to find their places on the roost bars at night

Back
Top Bottom