Using a sawhorse as a roost in the coop or run

Pecking order is a thing and someone will always be at the bottom. I don't see any issue using saw horses as roosts in general, but I wouldn't be catering to the situation with a separate setup. IMO I'd just make another roost bar across the coop, perhaps a few inches higher/lower so they have options and the dominant ones will probably want the upper bar. My chickens are savages to one another when it comes time to find their places on the roost bars at night
So I do have other bars but my one chickie always ends up at the edge of the poop board, at the tippy edge..im scared that 1) she's going to get pooped on all night. 2) her toes will get hurt sitting in the position so night. 3) she's not getting the warmth of the other chickens body heat.
Every night I end up going to the coop and placing her on the roost. I do believe she stays there when I put her, bc there's no poop anywhere else in the coop.

Pecking order is a thing and someone will always be at the bottom. I don't see any issue using saw horses as roosts in general, but I wouldn't be catering to the situation with a separate setup. IMO I'd just make another roost bar across the coop, perhaps a few inches higher/lower so they have options and the dominant ones will probably want the upper bar. My chickens are savages to one another when it comes time to find their places on the roost bars at night
I had 2 that were mean to 2 more that were introduced. Then it got cold. They were very welcoming to any other warm body when it got to freezing outside!

So they love their new playhouse which is inside the run. I left off one side so it's more like a 3 sided shelter with a roof. Hopefully a good spot to hang during winter. I might get a bale of straw just for this area so they can cozy up...but I'm scared of mites 😫. It isn't an area that will get wet. Would that help?
They were all interested right as I was putting it together, which is unusual. and they started dust bathing immediately 🎉🎉 I'll get pictures tomorrow.

So they love their new playhouse which is inside the run. I left off one side so it's more like a 3 sided shelter with a roof. Hopefully a good spot to hang during winter. I might get a bale of straw just for this area so they can cozy up...but I'm scared of mites 😫. It isn't an area that will get wet. Would that help?
They were all interested right as I was putting it together, which is unusual. and they started dust bathing immediately 🎉🎉 I'll get pictures tomorrow.

I would skip the straw and maybe isolate the bully/bullies for a couple of or even a few days. A time out for bullies can work wonders. I have a large dog crate (turn it upside down if you use one) in our run for broodies in the Spring/Summer, but leave it up year round in case I need to isolate a bully or reintroduce a chicken that's been treated for this or that in the house. If isolating a not-broody-hen, I put a tray with chips on the bottom of the crate for comfort. The crate is also handy for throwing a bag(s) of feed/scratch into until I have time to get them into their bins (so the chickens don't peck holes in the bags).

We have 24 hens and 1 roo . . . about half sleep on perches in the coop at night, and the other half out in the run on perches there. Unless it's under 20F, I let them sleep where they want. On really cold nights I do pop them all into the coop and close the door so they can keep each other a bit warmer. But mostly, I just let them do their thing.

1700104624289.png

1700104438578.png

I would skip the straw and maybe isolate the bully/bullies for a couple of or even a few days. A time out for bullies can work wonders. I have a large dog crate (turn it upside down if you use one) in our run for broodies in the Spring/Summer, but leave it up year round in case I need to isolate a bully or reintroduce a chicken that's been treated for this or that in the house. If isolating a not-broody-hen, I put a tray with chips on the bottom of the crate for comfort. The crate is also handy for throwing a bag(s) of feed/scratch into until I have time to get them into their bins (so the chickens don't peck holes in the bags).

We have 24 hens and 1 roo . . . about half sleep on perches in the coop at night, and the other half out in the run on perches there. Unless it's under 20F, I let them sleep where they want. On really cold nights I do pop them all into the coop and close the door so they can keep each other a bit warmer. But mostly, I just let them do their thing.

View attachment 3684747
View attachment 3684745
omg i love that crate idea, and also that extra storage on top where your pine shavings are!

Back
Top Bottom