Using a stock tank for brooder - sterilize?

GiddyMoon

Songster
8 Years
Apr 14, 2011
Tucson, AZ
Better half got a large stock tank for free..it will work for the first couple of weeks..what do I need to do to this thing to get it prepared?

Aren't those what they use at tsc?
hu.gif

as long as it's not crusted in crap, i wouldn't worry about cleaning it.

we used those for years and never cleaned them, other than flipping them over and rinsing them out when done for the year

That's what I use as a brooder for chicks and housing for broody mamas (works GREAT, by the way). Between tenants I just spray mine out with a hose and then spritz it with some bleach water. A little time in the sun to dry and it's good to go.

Thanks guys. He got it at a garage sale so I have no idea what it was used for. It looks stained..I will power hose, light bleach and sun it.
big_smile.png

Put a couple gallons of water in it and add a cup of bleach. Take a clean mop and dip it in the water and swab all around inside. I'd run the mop with bleach water over the outside, too.

Quote:
I would too. Don't want to invite some creepy crawler to dinner on your chicks. They will produce their own bacteria. I bleach out my brooders after every use and I know what was in them. I hose out the bigger stuff them spray them down with bleach let it set a few minutes them hose it out again. I wash out what sticks. NIce and clean for the next brood to mess up.

Quote:
This is what I'd do too. Sorry I was kind of vague, my routine is more maintenance than initial set-up.

Back
Top Bottom