Using a used cat box for a nesting box..

ginag617

Hatching
7 Years
Aug 23, 2012
Hi, I was wondering if a clean used cat box could be used for a nest box? I have an extra cat box that my cats used to use. It's been cleaned and it's been outside in the open air for over a year. I don't detect an odor, but maybe the chickens will? What do you think?

Is it a plastic cat box with a cover? I think it's about the right size, and I am thinking of getting 2 of them for my Broody/chick grow out area. If you are reusing, I would suggest washing it thoroughly with soap and water, and disinfecting it. If you've already washed and disinfected, using straight vinegar on the plastic should remove odors. Let it sit for a while, and rinse well. If that doesn't work, try bleach. But rinse well. Good luck.

I use covered kitty liter pans for my nesting boxes................................. my girls LOVE them !! The eggs are protected from rolling out of the nest and the girls feel safe. They're e-z to clean, just dump out the wood shavings wash, dry and refill and watch your girls play in the fresh shavings !!

I don't have pics of the litterboxes right now, but I"ll get some tonight hopefully. I filled them with hay, and I think I will get some saw dust for them instead. I just keep hoping I'm going to get an egg.. But so far, 2 weeks and no eggs.. :(

I am using the box without the cover. I'm going to get some wood shavings and put the cover on, and see if that helps. :) I want my hens to be happy too! :)

Back
Top Bottom