Using Acorns to feed your chickens.

Mgui35

Songster
9 Years
Dec 25, 2010
Sulphur Louisiana
My chickens free range in the back yard. I have 6 large oak trees in my yard that are dropping acorns like crazy. When I go to feed my chickens they follow me like puppies all the way to the feed can. A few days ago I noticed they had stopped following me and were pecking something. When I walked across a concrete pad, I had crushed several acorns and they were eating them up. I gathered several gallons of acorns and crushed them and the feeding frenzy was on. I will pay a minimal food bill for the next month due to the love of acorns by my chooks. I hope this saves someone else some money due to feed being so high.

They do seem to be happy. They come to me when I call them. I say "Chooky chooky chook chook, chookity chookity chook chook" and they come a running. First I look around to make sure nobody is watching me when I do this.

Quote:
Lol yes watch those neighbors! My closest neighbor set off his air horn at me when I was talking to my chickens too loudly.
gig.gif

Quote:
If the yolks do turn green then thats all the better due to the fact that my chickens are Ameraucanas. Now they can be green through and through!

Quote:
Lol yes watch those neighbors! My closest neighbor set off his air horn at me when I was talking to my chickens too loudly.
gig.gif

Too funny. He probably had a good laugh at your embarrassment for being caught.

Quote:
If the yolks do turn green then thats all the better due to the fact that my chickens are Ameraucanas. Now they can be green through and through!

lau.gif

I remember where I read that oak trees are poisonous to chickens. It didn't specify if it was the tree bark, leaves, acorns. Anyone? I could be totally wrong on this.

Back
Top Bottom