Using Deer Food Plot seed for a chicken run - Feedback

KlopKlop

Crowing
Jun 3, 2015
Southern Minnesota
I thought i would share some feed back on something new i tried this year. I had a new chicken run that i built this spring and the ground was pretty bare so I tried tilling it and planting food plot seeds meant for deer hunting. The mix i had was buck wheat, some kind of beets, and other sweet grasses by 'Antler King' brand. I planted in march and thanks to a warm but damp spring it grew very well. I let the chickens onto it a few days a week starting in mid may and they loved the beet greens but over all im not too impressed by it. As the grasses grew taller they started matting down. I tried trimming them with my string trimmer but for the most part it has all turned to straw and is not regrowing. The beets that didn't get trimmed have bolted and now the they provide shade and cover for the hens when they go in that yard.

I have some seed left and may try again next year and then try and keep the grasses trimmed down better so they dont mat. plan B is to plant it on the end of my garden (a 30'x40' area) when the sweet corn is done and then try and free range them on it this fall and see how that goes. That may also be a good way to keep the deer away from my new apple trees since this stuff is apparently supposed to lure them in.

Has anyone else tried this before?

Thought I would give an update. I filled up a portion of my enclosed coop and planted the same buckwheat and radish seed. I watered it daily and let it grow for a week and it was about and inch tall. I let my 22 layers onto it for the weekend and they ATE IT ALL!
They went bonkers for the young stuff.
After doing Research of the past weeks I basically learned that since chickens aren't ruminants they won't have interest in the high fiber 'stalks' when the grasses get tall. They need it to the young and tender. Also since buckwheat is an annual, it won't grow back after it goes to seed. These are things I should have though about the first time around
I plan to keep seeding the area and letting them at it and keep learning.

Have you checked into the wild bird seed mixes sold by Pheasants Forever? I haven't yet myself, but they might be a resource, and also the county extension office, and spring county plant and seed mix sales. Generally chickens will eat any tender plants available, and seeds, down to bear earth. Some will be better nutritionally than others. Like clover. Mary

Back
Top Bottom