Using expanded steel mesh for predator screen?

pleasantfiction

In the Brooder
Jun 9, 2015
North Carolina Piedmont
I'm in the process of building our first chicken coop & run and of course I'm trying to spend as little as possible while keeping it secure. We're in an area where there are lots of predators -- blacksnakes, copperheads, foxes, possums, raccoon, bobcats, hawks, coyotes ... you name it we probably have it. ;)

We had some wire mesh laying around so I thought I'd use that to keep anything from digging into the coop. I think the actual name for it is expanded diamond mesh lath. Just wondering if anyone has used it for this purpose.

I believe it is galvanized steel and seems to be pretty tough stuff. Sure seems like it would discourage most predators from digging through it, but then I originally thought that of regular "chicken wire" too.

I have it about 12-16" or so in the ground as you can see here:

This is on the front side of the coop where the run will be attached, so it is the back side of the run. I'm putting treated plywood (also conveniently laying around) above ground to close in that side as well. I'm expecting to use 1/2" 19-gauge hardware cloth buried in a trench around the run when I get to that part.

I've used expanded metal for windows in one coop. Definitely the most durable predator proof covering.
For the skirt around the run/coop welded wire or woven wire may be sufficient. Most of your diggers will be foxes and dogs. That will deter them.
A skirt across the ground barely covered with soil is just as effective as buried into the ground. The diggers dig along the edge and hit the wire. They don't know to back up.

Good thinking though.

Most people use hardware cloth but in my classes I also recommend expanded metal if they have it available. I think if it was a fort knox type coop with expanded metal windows it would even keep bears out.

Chicken wire only keeps chickens in. It won't keep any but the wimpiest predators out.

Snakes aren't really a problem except for chicks and eggs. After they're grown, the snakes are in more danger from the chickens. And they eliminate a lot of the rodents.

Thanks for the input -- I'm feeling confident about using the expanded metal now. Also the tip re: the skirting. Not looking forward to digging 20' or so of trenches in this hard soil.

Time to start building walls on fort knox now!

Yeah, mine is rusty but still is strong.

Perhaps if one uses stainless expanded metal that would be better but very pricey.
You can also prime and paint it before it gets rusty.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom