Using Flex Seal inside and out?

Tortoise

Songster
5 Years
Aug 19, 2018
Chicago
Plan on using the clear for the outside of coop to seal and protect from the elements here in Chicago.
May also use to seal inside to help make cleaning easier and of course to protect the wood.
Any reason why I can't or shouldn't use it?

Not sure anyone's used it here...
...except did see someone used the tape for flexible seal over an exterior nest lid hinge.

Do you have a link to the exact product you are contemplating using?

It says can be used to seal aquariums and animal and food safe.
My concern would not be with the product being safe for chickens to be around it. My concern is if they pecked at the walls and were able to eat any of it. I'm not sure its safe if eaten. Do chickens usually peck at wood walls?
I have used the black flex seal on a metal flower tub and it's like a thin coating of rubber. Works great. I would use the clear on the coop.
Here it is at Lowe's
https://m.lowes.com/pd/flex-seal-32...ryQCKHDccfnO2TA4v6f-n5JLXx4_CC9RoCqCEQAvD_BwE

I want the whole flex seal line. This is a testament to the efficacy of advertising. I did buy a roll of tape and I like it. It’s really expensive. Not sure you’ll get your money’s worth in costs vs benefits. I painted the inside of my coop, and I’m not sure I even needed to do that. I ended up having to move the girls to the tool shed, racing to empty it out as a blizzard approached and I suddenly remembered that, oh yeah, they couldn’t stay in that adorable, expensive, labor intensive and above all, too-small coop for the week or so it would take to warm up and partly melt off. And that was just the harbinger of the winter to come. And it’s STILL COLD.

I’ve not had problems with my chickens pecking at stuff in their new (or old) coop other than the bedding. Not even each other. I know that’s a problem sometimes, though. I think the most important thing there is that they have plenty of room—especially if it seems likely they could be cooped up for significant periods of time because of weather. I use deep bedding. They’re always exploring around, pecking at that. I think they’re finding something to eat in there but I don’t know what.

When I was building the pretty coop I really stressed out over the pecking thing but for my girls it just isn’t a problem. I’m not saying you’re okay to put toxic stuff in the coop of course. I suspect though that the flex seal is mostly silicone, which is inert when cured. If you really want to use it, I’d contact the company and ask them. If it’s not toxic to humans (once cured), then it’s very unlikely it’s toxic to chickens. Chickens can and do eat pretty much anything humans eat.

Oh yes... be careful to include plenty of ventilation in your coop. It’s very easy to seal it up TOO well. I caulked all the cracks but I covered my vents with hardware cloth (.5”x.5”) and window screen (for wasps).
That's a great idea, using regular screening to keep out the wasps. I learned that the hard way, last year, so screening is one of the first updates we'll do once the weather breaks "for real." The true "first" is supposed to be an all-out Spring cleaning and a coat of white paint, inside. We'll see how that actually pans out!

It says can be used to seal aquariums and animal and food safe.
My concern would not be with the product being safe for chickens to be around it. My concern is if they pecked at the walls and were able to eat any of it. I'm not sure its safe if eaten. Do chickens usually peck at wood walls?
I have used the black flex seal on a metal flower tub and it's like a thin coating of rubber. Works great. I would use the clear on the coop.
Here it is at Lowe's
https://m.lowes.com/pd/flex-seal-32...ryQCKHDccfnO2TA4v6f-n5JLXx4_CC9RoCqCEQAvD_BwE

Chickens peck at everything. They use their beaks to feel something like we use our hands. If the flex seal is smooth without bubbles or anything they can grab ahold of with their beaks you should be fine. I would make sure there is no rotted areas in wood before applying because they could peck through the flexseal and get to the rotted wood. Granted the chance of finding one spot of bad wood is pretty slim. I do know a friend that put flex seal on the floor of their coop. Worked pretty well.

Keep in mind that since flex seals seals it takes breathability away from what ever you put it on. Unpainted wood walls in a chicken coop absorbs water vapors. The flex seal is going to seal your coop more so than paint. You want to make sure your coop has a lot of ventilation to let moisture escape year round, but especially if your area gets colder in the winter.

I used the spray can of flex seal on the roof of my coop. It didnt not work . I applied several layers It was a metal roof and now its rubber. Expensive but mine is a flat roof as thats all I could build and rubber was the best way to go for me.

I used the spray can of flex seal on the roof of my coop. It didnt not work . I applied several layers It was a metal roof and now its rubber. Expensive but mine is a flat roof as thats all I could build and rubber was the best way to go for me.
It didn't work on your metal roof?
I used it on a metal tub so I could plant flowers and not have the metal tub rust out. I sprayed 2 layers and it had held up great so far for 2 summers.

Chickens peck at everything. They use their beaks to feel something like we use our hands. If the flex seal is smooth without bubbles or anything they can grab ahold of with their beaks you should be fine. I would make sure there is no rotted areas in wood before applying because they could peck through the flexseal and get to the rotted wood. Granted the chance of finding one spot of bad wood is pretty slim. I do know a friend that put flex seal on the floor of their coop. Worked pretty well.

Keep in mind that since flex seals seals it takes breathability away from what ever you put it on. Unpainted wood walls in a chicken coop absorbs water vapors. The flex seal is going to seal your coop more so than paint. You want to make sure your coop has a lot of ventilation to let moisture escape year round, but especially if your area gets colder in the winter.
No rotted wood. It's a brand new coop. One of those prefabbed ones that dont last long. The reason I want too use the flex seal. It should make the coop last a lot longer. Fingers crossed that it does.

Back
Top Bottom