Using hard boiled eggs for chicks to supplement diet:::::

CollegeChicken

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 3, 2014
In the past Ive used hard boiled eggs to supplement my chicks diet. It was recommended to me by a friend and I was wondering if anyone else routinely offered this. I have a mixed batch this year with one or two runty silky chicks who I think could use some extra protein etc.... I am aware hard boiled eggs spoil quickly and must be removed after an hour or two of being offered...for those who have given it..do you just give the yolk or the whole egg?

I would recommed that you shouldn't feed your chicks eggs. They will get used to eating eggs and then they will eat their own eggs. Buy a good medicated chick starter that has high protein levels. That will be sufficient enough untill they become pullets. When they are pullets, you can give them black oil sunflower seeds, oats, and mealworms for protein. You'll still be giving them extra protein at the growing stage.

Eggs are one of the best things you can give a chicken. A mashed up boiled egg or scrambled egg looks nothing like an egg in the shell. It will not lead to egg eating.

I gave my chicks boiled eggs all the time. It was their favorite treat. Give the yolk and white, just mash it up for them.

My chicken mentor, George Mihalik, taught me one of his tricks for raising healthy show chickens: he fed boiled eggs blended (or mashed) together with grated carrots, powdered vitamin supplement, and a few things I can't remember. Bottom line--mashed boiled eggs are super as chick food. I've done it for over 20 years. None of my chickens have ever become egg eaters.

yes my baby chicks have always seemed to love it. These chicks are doing ok and I am offering one hard boiled egg mashed up per day ( there are 8 chicks) but its kind of hard to imagine the tiny little runty silky who isnt much bigger than a golfball trying to compete with my light brahma who although is the same age, is like GODZILLA

Back
Top Bottom