Using heat tape inside the coop

1stACT

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 15, 2013
Skippack, Pennsylvania
After the awful winter we just had, I as wondering if anyone is using heat tape inside their coop? My thought was to using it under the sand which on the floor. That way the girls would get a little radiant heat when it was really, really cold. Wouldn't it be safer than a heat lamp? Any thoughts??

We get brutal cold during winter, too. I've decided to hang a heat lamp up high for those nights we get down to +20 and under, but only then. I'm also going to use a heat tape system on my waterer because I know that will freeze in a heartbeat. Me personally I wouldn't waste a heat tape on the floor of your coop. Your chickens will eventually dig it up and then who knows...fried chicken, maybe?? Eeeeek!!
hit.gif

I wouldn't do a heat lamp or tape. We just went through the brutal winter & my chickens & guineas came through it just fine. My chickens had no problem back in 1994 when temps were -22 and such for a week a night. Heat is not really necessary.

I have no experience with heat tape, however I would be nervous that the curious chickens would eventually dig it up and bad bad things may happen.
I had a horribly cold winter, -40 during the day sometimes!!
ep.gif

I used a heat lamp that I attached with a pull chain, I simply pulled it on and off depending on the temp. you have to be very careful about fire!!!
also I noticed a huge problem was frostbite, I used Vaseline on their combs to help with that.
the heated whatever may be a great idea tho!!

and to those that don't heat the coop and say "they made it through the winter just fine" you try spending months outside in freezing weather with a sweater, you may survive but its torture. I prefer to prevent torture if possible lol

winter sucks im doing some more winter research aslo

After the awful winter we just had, I as wondering if anyone is using heat tape inside their coop? My thought was to using it under the sand which on the floor. That way the girls would get a little radiant heat when it was really, really cold. Wouldn't it be safer than a heat lamp? Any thoughts??
How big is your coop? If you put a 55 gallon drum of water with one of those good livestock tank heaters in it, seal the lid so you don't add humidity to the air or have to keep track of water level, the drum of water will add gentle heat if your coop is big enough for it to fit but not too big. That's what we did for our bantams until we started using solar powered heated drinkers. The warm drinking water is enough to help take off the chill for them.

I have no experience with heat tape, however I would be nervous that the curious chickens would eventually dig it up and bad bad things may happen.
ep.gif

I used a heat lamp that I attached with a pull chain, I simply pulled it on and off depending on the temp. you have to be very careful about fire!!!
also I noticed a huge problem was frostbite, I used Vaseline on their combs to help with that.

and to those that don't heat the coop and say "they made it through the winter just fine" you try spending months outside in freezing weather with a sweater, you may survive but its torture. I prefer to prevent torture if possible lol

I agree with you wholeheartedly. While it may be true that "they made it through the winter just fine" for some, I won't take the risk. Our temps don't get quite as brutal as yours, but we do get down to -20 for about a week or so....it's awful...
hide.gif
hide.gif

ep.gif

That's all well & good, however let me know how your chickens make out when it's -40 & your heat goes off. They will not be acclimated to the weather & very well may die because of it. Chickens have more than a "sweater" on. Whatever works for you!

Back
Top Bottom