Using hen to hatch eggs..when? and how?

CA Bean

Songster
11 Years
Aug 12, 2008
Central Coast -California
Hi, sorry if this is a silly question. So my gals (17) just started laying this month and I would potentially like then in the near future to lay on eggs that I buy for hatching. When is a good time and how do I do it? Do I let eggs accumulate in nesting box? ( we have golf balls in with them) Do I wait until one becomes broody?..
TIA!

You will know when you have a broody ,usually you will have all warm eggs when you collect them & a hen that wont get of the nest .If you want to encourage them to go broody a semi dark nest box, with (I'm not sure about golf balls) eggs(I used hard boiled ),mark them so you still get the fresh ones. Good luck
smile.png

yea you do not get to decide when your hens go broody that is all up to them they choose when to be and they choose when to stop so dont order any eggs till you have a broody hean which if u said they just started laying then it will be awhile well good luck other wise

Ok so I can't encourage them to be broody then. I thought usually after they have a clutch then they start to lay on them. So it looks like that might not be the case... oh well bummer then.

Back
Top Bottom