using manure for fertalizer

Thanks! I was about to ask this question as I have been collecting and mixing it in the compost I get from the county. I started collecting and storing it in a 4x4 concrete holder I made for about 3-4 months. Should I be good by late march? I think so but my father is not sure. What say you?

Last edited:
If you want to use your compost mix, into which you've been adding raw manure and you want to use that mixture by the end of March, you should cease adding raw manure, at this point. If you can, go ahead and dress your garden with the mixture now. Then, you can start a new pile for next winter's spreading. Any fresh manure you get from now on should probably be stockpiled in the compost container for next year's garden. It is almost the first of February already.

Since we don't plant until May, we still have a month or two before our window will close.

Also needs to be mentioned that fresh manure tends to be hot,meaning it has a high acidity and will burn young transplanted seedlings.

It has that potential, to be sure. The much greater concern is that fresh manure should never be applied to growing vegetables. Not used as side dressing, either. We couldn't run our operation without the chickens. We don't use chemical fertilizers. I wouldn't trade chicken litter for the world. One just has to be sensible. That's all.

Also needs to be mentioned that fresh manure tends to be hot,meaning it has a high acidity and will burn young transplanted seedlings.

Actually, most poultry litter, especially litter from hens, raises soil ph. There is an awful lot of lime, or calcium carbonate passed through. Clemson University has studied this, as well as many other papers from other studies on the subject. http://hubcap.clemson.edu/~blpprt/acidity2_poultry.html

It seems the calcium levels overcome the acidity of the N conversion. Young plants likely get "burned" as much from the phosphorus perhaps, although I'm not sure about that. Chicken manure, in a raw state, is just too alive, or chemically charged. It needs a little time. I agree it is too hot. Anyway.... Your point is well taken.

Last edited:
Gotta agree with Fred here. I almost commented on the "high acidity" thing but didn't. I only wish chicken manure had high acidity that passed to the soil because our soil here is very alkaline. We don't dare put lime or wood ashes in it for that reason. It makes advice from northern gardeners almost deadly since most make a point of saying to add lime and so on. Using lots of pine needles really helps.

It has that potential, to be sure. The much greater concern is that fresh manure should never be applied to growing vegetables. Not used as side dressing, either. We couldn't run our operation without the chickens. We don't use chemical fertilizers. I wouldn't trade chicken litter for the world. One just has to be sensible. That's all.

Actually, most poultry litter, especially litter from hens, raises soil ph. There is an awful lot of lime, or calcium carbonate passed through. Clemson University has studied this, as well as many other papers from other studies on the subject. http://hubcap.clemson.edu/~blpprt/acidity2_poultry.html

It seems the calcium levels overcome the acidity of the N conversion. Young plants likely get "burned" as much from the phosphorus perhaps, although I'm not sure about that. Chicken manure, in a raw state, is just too alive, or chemically charged. It needs a little time. I agree it is too hot. Anyway.... Your point is well taken.

Yup you are correct, just could not remember what the cause was. Learned the hard way last year with my cukes, the seedlings got burnt off and had to start over by digging out that area of the bed and replant.

I do have a compost pile that I add other green and brown material to.
I stir every other day, and add green and brown, Chicken waste only goes
in every 2 - 3 weeks. When I turn that sucker, I have the most beautiful steam.
After 3 - 4 weeks IF don't add chicken waste, it is not "working" that well. I just
emptied the pile last week and started another pile. If it has "worked" is it ok to
throw on the garden? This is my first year with chicken manure. I've had a compost
pile for years!

Please tell me yes!

I let my chickens into the garden in the Fall/Winter to glean, clean, and turnover the mulch while adding their fertilizer:

By spring I'll only have to do a light till and the seedbed is ready for planting. (the mailbox holds garden gloves/tools/etc.)

Back
Top Bottom