Using multiple coops

plucker

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 30, 2011
Middle TN
I have never raised chickens before and am thinking of giving it a try. I have access to sturdy wooden packing crates that I was thinking of using as chicken coops. This measure slightly over 2ft x 3ft and about 40 in tall. I was thinking of putting a metal roof on these and some roosts inside.

My question is since these are so small, how many chickens could fit per coop and is it possible to have multiple coops in one chicken run? Should I connect several crates as a single coop? Or should I just abandon the idea all together.

Thanks

Oh, don't abandon it! All that free material!

The rule of thumb on here for large fowl chickens is 4 sq ft in the coop and 10 sq ft in the run. You might consider investing in a few corner posts a roof boards, and using those to build walls and perhaps a roof. Chickens are social animals and don't want to live alone, they want each others' company.

And welcome!

Multiple coops are fine. But you might put some more work into it by partially dismantling them and making them into larger living quarters. ddawn is absolutely right: chickens are social animals and like to roost together.

One packing crate could easily be a grow out coop for young chicks as you construct a larger coop.....

Thanks! I was thinking one would make a perfect grow-out shelter. I'll have to think about how to combine these. How about the 40" tall? Is this tall enough?

I have been making large doghouses as I can use old paint and roofing tin and slap a great doghouse together in a few hours. I then sell them cheap or donate them to the shelter. The idea of a chicken coop just keeps coming back so we'll see.

While we're on the subject. What's a good number of chicken to start with as a rookie?

Quote:
Absolute minimum of three.

But starting with six is nice number.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom