Using Rabbit Hutch as coop have questions...newbie

sunnynparadise

Hatching
12 Years
Feb 2, 2007
Northwest
Hello, I do not have chickens yet...just two indoor house rabbits. I do have a rabbit hutch that I would like to convert to an outdoor chicken coop. I would take out the wire floor and put plywood down the legs, and leave the floor open. I have heard from people that the deep litter method works well in that the chickens like being on straight dirt and you dig in sawdust and create a place from then to root around in. My question is this, I would only have about 3 chckens. I am a bit confused about the roost. Is it a platform where the chickens sit...or do I put a perch, with a place for the eggs to roll down. How do you keep the eggs clean if they roost on a flat platform because they seem to poop all the time. Thanks for replies. Sunny.

you would need to provide a roost and at least one nestbox, although as i understand it, some hens will lay eggs right on the floor. if you read through the posts under this topic (coop design and construction), you will find many posts with pictures that will show roosts and nestboxes inside coops. there is also an entire section on BYC dedicated to coop design with lots of photos and even some with build instructions.

good luck!

a rabbit hutch will hold 3 or 4 hens.if room is tight you dont need a roost.they can sitt on the floor an sleep.all you need is 1 nest in with them.

Back
Top Bottom