Using Sand as Bedding in the Winter...

Yep! I just yesterday started putting up the 6-mil greenhouse clear plastic sheeting up. Just a few panels...don't want to 'roast' them quite yet!
gig.gif
But like you, the hard winters we get my girls will be just fine. Actually it's not as hard to put up as I was afraid it would be. Only mistake I made yesterday was I cut one panel 2" too short on width...aaack!

I wish I was as organized! I will be putting my vinyl up at around 11pm on the night of our first snow storm! At least that's how its been the last two years!

We're in NW Ohio; last winter was brutal.. We used straw in the coop (hate it), so I'm looking for alternatives. I've read that sand is good and bad during winter. Anyone else have experience with this?

We're in NW Ohio; last winter was brutal.. We used straw in the coop (hate it), so I'm looking for alternatives. I've read that sand is good and bad during winter. Anyone else have experience with this?
I can only speak for myself and personally I don't like using sand in the coop. In the run is a different story, but in the coop, no. Sand tome is 'cold' feeling and here in Oregon, like you in Ohio, our winters are really cold. I'm using pine wood shavings inside the coop. I'm starting out with about 6" and will add-to during the winter. If you don't use the correct 'type' of sand it can compact really bad, will hold moisture, and you run the risk of mold/mildew...I dunno, maybe it's just me not liking it.

Back
Top Bottom