Using Straw inside Walls for Insulation?

Seabright12

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 23, 2016
Oklahoma
I'm thinking about putting extra plywood on the inside of my coop and filling the void between the inside and the outside wall with straw. I'm wondering how this will hold up after a few years. Would the straw rot? Get fungus or mold? Any other suggestions? Thanks!

I'm thinking about putting extra plywood on the inside of my coop and filling the void between the inside and the outside wall with straw. I'm wondering how this will hold up after a few years. Would the straw rot? Get fungus or mold? Any other suggestions? Thanks!
I don’t think that’s a good idea. I think the straw might get moldy and harbor bugs. Use regular insulation if that’s your plan.

I did insulate the walls and ceiling of my coop, and had issues with mice and RATS moving in to the wall cavities. After loosing pullets and eggs to the rats, and having a huge mouse colony, we removed all the wall plywood and insulation, and went through a lot of bait. Miserable!
I think ceiling insulation helps with heat in summer, but won't ever have wall cavities out there again.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom