using treated lumber

thanks for than info it says not to use it in the presence of food does that mean i cant eat my chickens now?

You can still eat your chickens. Its never harmed my family.
smile.png

Quote:
Treated lumber use to be preserved with arsenic which obviously made it poisonous. No one does that any more so if it’s new or recently treated you are fine.

Quote:
Treated lumber use to be preserved with arsenic which obviously made it poisonous. No one does that any more so if it’s new or recently treated you are fine.

I agree. Unless you are using old pieces of pressure treated lumber you have nothing to worry about.
Using arsenic (in a combination called CCA) to treat the lumber intended for home use was banned in 2003:

http://www.epa.gov/oppad001/reregistration/cca/

Regarding working with ACQ pressure treated wood, (the chemical compound that replaced the one that contained arsenic,) the EPA says :

"After working with wood, wash exposed skin thoroughly.
Wash work clothes separately from other household clothing to avoid cross-contamination. "

From that caution, might you be safe if you put little booties on your chickens' feet before tucking them in for the night? After all, as I said, they're in constant contact with this wood for a third of their lives.

A major component of ACQ is copper which is a fungicide and is very corrosive (hence the need for galvanized or stainless steel fasteners to avoid corroding ordinary fasteners.) The other component is quaternary ammonium which acts as an insecticide.

I haven't seen any research on the effects of exposing a chickens feet to these chemicals for 8 to 10 hours a day but I'm pretty sure the folks that will tell you they use it all the time do not sleep with it strapped to the soles of their feet every night of their lives.

Did I miss the reason why the original poster feels it is necessary to use it as a roost?

Wayne

Last edited:
or how about wrapping the post in athletic tape? cloth? or any thing?

the reason i am using it, its free

Just from my expierience, and I dont have any papers and research to back it up, but Ive used treated lumber for roosts before, and never had any problems. If it was me Id use it without a second thought. But thats just me.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom