Using turned porch posts for run?

pleasantfiction

In the Brooder
Jun 9, 2015
North Carolina Piedmont
Why would I use turned porch posts for a chicken run? Same as for everything else -- because we already have them laying around. :) They were taken from an old family home that was being torn down many years ago. The intent was to use them to build a gazebo or something, but 25+ years later and still no gazebo.

They are solid wood, not hollow like the ones you get at the home improvement store these days. There's some decay at the top and bottom (an inch or so) but I think I have room to cut that off.

Some of said porch posts:

My main concern is attaching the wire. I was thinking of running the 1/2" hardware cloth vertically in 3' wide strips with posts set 3' on center or so, but I won't have a flat surface on the turned part. I could add some blocking or furring strip board I guess. Or maybe build a wood frame, attach the wire to that, then screw that into the posts?

The posts will be sitting on treated 2x6 which will be on cement blocks as needed.

Trying to stick with the reclaimed materials theme I've had so far on this coop, but if using these posts sounds like too much of a pain I could possibly buy 4x4s or landscaping timbers instead. Money is my other main concern though! ;)

Here's what the outside of the coop looks like:

So should I use the posts for the run or finally get around to building that gazebo (which may take another 25 years)?

My guess is that you could sell the posts on craigslist, buy replacement treated posts, and have money left over for wire.

Your porch posts will rot quickly in the ground.

ETA: I see that you don't plan to put them in the ground, so disregard my comment.

Last edited:
I tried placing a scrap piece of hardware cloth across a post and it actually doesn't look too bad. The turned portion isn't recessed as much as I thought so I think putting up the hw cloth won't be as much of a pain as I thought. EDIT: Just thought - I should look at the outside corners, too, though.

(the screws are just temporary, not how I would install)

I did look into Craigslist and saw some rather high-priced reclaimed turned posts, though. Don't know what they actually sell for but they were listed for 2-4 times as much as a treated 8' 4x4!

Last edited:
I tried placing a scrap piece of hardware cloth across a post and it actually doesn't look too bad. The turned portion isn't recessed as much as I thought so I think putting up the hw cloth won't be as much of a pain as I thought. EDIT: Just thought - I should look at the outside corners, too, though.

I did look into Craigslist and saw some rather high-priced reclaimed turned posts, though. Don't know what they actually sell for but they were listed for 2-4 times as much as a treated 8' 4x4!
Looks good but if you could sell them and wind up with extra chicken money....

I would get out my router and a straight edge and mill a flat area for attaching the wire, that will give you a very nice look. Use a penetrating wood drying oil (tung oil for instance) to help preserve the wood. Two coats, some drying time then using an oil base exterior paint will give you some awesome uprights for the run. You could even do them up in a Victorian era paint scheme for some real pazaz.

Back
Top Bottom