Utah!

Tandy--I had a blue laced red wyandotte from IFA that ended up being a cockerel. That was 1 of 4 chicks.

This year I got another 4 chicks and I'm questioning the gold laced wyandotte that I got. The only 2 I'm positive on are a white austra and an ancona. Still unsure on the speckled sussex too. :(

Oh Tandy I'm in the same water, just in a different boat. I got 7 chicks in January (5 silkies, 2 SLW) and I am 100% sure 3 are boys, and 2 more can be caught flipping their feet at eachother, I'm only sure that 2 are girls! That little SS is all boy, sorry to say!

3 out of 7, that's rough. I'd love to be able to keep mine , but the city doesn't allow roos if you have under an acre. I have someone on some acreage in Tremonton that said they were willing to take any boys we get to integrate into their flock. I hope I'm not pushing it by offering them two. I think this australorp is male as well - which I'm really sad about. It's a really good bird.

For those who know, what is a good age to re-home/introduce a new male bird. My boys are only 5 weeks right now so I'll be keeping them around for a bit.

Last edited:
Hi All

I'm trying to put an order together for Meyers Hatchery but they have a 15 chick minimum policy. I am only looking to get three so I'm just gauging if there is any interest from others on going in together for an order. I'd cover the shipping cost so you would just be liable for the bird cost.

Please let me know if your interested.

Thanks

Has anyone ever had a chick get trampled on in the Brinsea Mini. My chicks hatched last night, but one didn't unzip until morning. I left them all in the incubator while I went to work. When I came home, the chick that hatched last was smashed and dead. :( first time for me out of about a dozen hatches. :/ next time I guess I will need to take a few out and put them into the brooder! :/ RIP Miss Late Bloomer.

Has anyone ever had a chick get trampled on in the Brinsea Mini. My chicks hatched last night, but one didn't unzip until morning. I left them all in the incubator while I went to work. When I came home, the chick that hatched last was smashed and dead. :( first time for me out of about a dozen hatches. :/ next time I guess I will need to take a few out and put them into the brooder! :/ RIP Miss Late Bloomer.

No but be careful putting the lid back on. The gap above the water reservoir is just enough to trap a chicks head, but not enough to feel any resistance.

As to the IFA chicks....I saw no cages marked as pullet when I was there, that means that they are simply selling them all as straight run. 50/50 chance. 2 years ago I got 1 male out of 6 chicks, last year I got 1 male out of 4 chicks. not a good ratio as far as I am concerned.

Good Easter afternoon… I was able to catch a photograph of Loki as we gathered the eggs today. He was actually in and on the nest when we first found him. We are sure enjoying him and his antics. A busy man about the place for sure.

Sorry about all the roosters you guys are finding. Thank you Red for thinking of us and our wishes to get a Icelandic flock up and going. A most wonderful spring season we are having thus far. Hope everyone got along well over the weekend holiday, our little ones had a nice time, as did we.

Best to all and your birds,

RJ

As to the IFA chicks....I saw no cages marked as pullet when I was there, that means that they are simply selling them all as straight run. 50/50 chance. 2 years ago I got 1 male out of 6 chicks, last year I got 1 male out of 4 chicks. not a good ratio as far as I am concerned. 

If you get those kind of ratios from straight run chicks, do you want to go to wendover? I'd get 11 Roos if I bought 12 straight run.

I'm taking my two birds back to IFA tomorrow. If you buy from the pullet box and they turn out to be cockerels, IFA will take them back and try to resell them. You don't get your money back, but at least there is a chance that they will get to a home that wants a rooster
hmm.png
. They said the younger they are when you return them, the easier time they have selling them. I guess I've only ever been when they were marked pullets or straight run. I go to the Ogden IFA.

Back
Top Bottom