Vent inflamed but no other signs of gleet? (Pic)

pepchickens

In the Brooder
Apr 10, 2024
Need help diagnosing so I can treat properly! My one yo NH Red (Pepper) is presenting with vent inflammation but no other symptoms that I’ve noticed.

One week ago: Found a bloody egg (just a smear of blood) but didn’t think much of it, as everyone seemed happy.

Two days ago: I found another bloody egg, like the first, and so I examined my hens and saw that Pepper was inflamed. I treated with prepH and left her alone, as she was exhibiting no signs of egg binding or gleet.

Today: Her vent and demeanor is unchanged. I even gloved up and examined internally (only inserted to my first knuckle, not knowing how far is too far). Not sure what I was looking for, but I do kind of think the irritation is presenting externally only. I don’t know if she has laid, as I have other reds laying.

Attached is a photo, taken after I applied prepH. So although her vent looks goopy in the pic, it is otherwise clean and her poop is normal. In that pic she also looks much redder than she did before I started examining her. All along, her behavior is totally normal.

I do have a young roo (6 mo) who is rough on the hens. I looked at his butt just now and I saw some redness but couldn’t get a good look. I got all my chickens as chicks, and no one new has been introduced since the rooster. They’ve otherwise been healthy, so I’m not sure whether to suspect communicable disease.

If it’s not egg binding and not gleet, what’s going on? Is this a wait and see?
IMG_3251.jpeg

Need help diagnosing so I can treat properly! My one yo NH Red (Pepper) is presenting with vent inflammation but no other symptoms that I’ve noticed.

One week ago: Found a bloody egg (just a smear of blood) but didn’t think much of it, as everyone seemed happy.

Two days ago: I found another bloody egg, like the first, and so I examined my hens and saw that Pepper was inflamed. I treated with prepH and left her alone, as she was exhibiting no signs of egg binding or gleet.

Today: Her vent and demeanor is unchanged. I even gloved up and examined internally (only inserted to my first knuckle, not knowing how far is too far). Not sure what I was looking for, but I do kind of think the irritation is presenting externally only. I don’t know if she has laid, as I have other reds laying.

Attached is a photo, taken after I applied prepH. So although her vent looks goopy in the pic, it is otherwise clean and her poop is normal. In that pic she also looks much redder than she did before I started examining her. All along, her behavior is totally normal.

I do have a young roo (6 mo) who is rough on the hens. I looked at his butt just now and I saw some redness but couldn’t get a good look. I got all my chickens as chicks, and no one new has been introduced since the rooster. They’ve otherwise been healthy, so I’m not sure whether to suspect communicable disease.

If it’s not egg binding and not gleet, what’s going on? Is this a wait and see?View attachment 3804282
More important details - the redness radiates outward from the vent about 3/4” in all directions. And the rooster’s name is Boo, named after Monsters Inc by my 2 yo neighbor.

Back
Top Bottom