vent picking 5 day old chicks

Gwendylyn

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 13, 2014
Waller, Washington
Any experience with vent picking? I have 9 five day old chicks in the brooder. I have one baby that the others have ganged up on & it had a bit of blood on its vent. I cleaned it up, sprayed with blue kote & put her back in the brooder. She didn't take 4 steps before they started pecking again. Blue kote looks red under a red heat lamp bulb.... I've got it separated but it just keeps screaming for the others. I put a little mirror in with it & it seems to help but it's going to kill me letting this poor thing freak out all night! Suggestions?

So 4am comes around & there's screaming coming from the brooder. It's another chick with a picked at vent. I snatched the poor thing out & watched the others a minute. Turns out the only one pecking/picking on the others is the runt. After pulling that one out I put everyone else back together including the first one I had to separate earlier tonight. No picking, no pecking, no screaming. What is wrong with this little runt bully? Do you think it could be protien deficient being the smallest? All of the chicks are on starter that is 20%. What can I give it for a protien boost/attitude adjustment? Or do you think it's something else entirely?

The little one doing the pecking may stop after some time alone. I once had a group of banty chicks from the feed store, and one little OEG pullet tried to pecked everyone's eyes constantly, even after trying to distract it. After spending a night alone, it quit that behavior, never doing that again. She grew up to be a sweet chicken, and is 3 years old now.

Oh I'm so glad that it worked out for you & hope that this little jerk takes the being alone as a clue to knock it off as well. Right now I just need it to stop screaming. I've got it in our spare bathroom in a pretty sweet bachelor pad but she is just not impressed. Hopefully she'll wear herself out soon & we can all get a little nap in before I've got to start the day.

If the time or doesn't set this one straight, any other suggestions?

I'm still having a terrible time with this chick. I've had it separated this whole time but have tried setting it back in with the others a few times & it's the same thing every time. It goes right after whatever vent walks by. It was suggested that maybe because the brute is so much smaller that maybe it wasn't able to swallow the chick starter & to try grinding it up. I did & it ate like crazy! I was thinking the problem was solved but no. Ground more food & left the chick separated for a few more hours thinking maybe it needed time to absorb the food. Just tried putting it back in with the others & it wasn't 30 seconds before she was back at it.

I really need some help here. I'm at an absolute loss & have no idea what to do

I am sorry I have barely any experience with this, but you could try spraying the vents with a bad tasting spray meant for this usage, I know there is stuff out there that looks like blood?

Thanks, maybe check if it is safe for chicks on the label! You may know but chickens cannot consume anything with ingredients ending in -Caine. Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom