Vent

Lavender6

Songster
Jul 5, 2021
Mount Vernon KY
Hi All,
My 2 year old Barred rock has been in the corner of the run not wanting too move she was wheezing a little so I gave her an injection of Tylan 50. I decided to powder her for mites, and put coconut oil on her feet because she has a mild case of scaly leg might. Now I just use it for prevention.
When I turned her over to check her vent something really weird is hanging out. I am posting the picture. Please help. We don't have a vet within 100 miles that will see chickens. I live in Appalachia. Let me know what you think I should do and what the heck it is. Thank you.

Attachments

• 20230314_105417.jpg
    20230314_105417.jpg
    324.1 KB · Views: 5
That looks like a big puss plug. (Vent prolapse is bright red tissue) It's called lash material and indicates a reproductive infection. That should drop away like poop would, and then you can slice into it to confirm it's pus. If it slices like cheese and has a cheesy texture, then it's pus
The treatment is an oral antibiotic she's a young hen, it maybe can be cured. I would try. You can buy antibiotic here. https://www.kvsupply.com/item/aqua-mox-250mg-capsules-100-count/P06184/ One per day for ten days. Just shove the pill into the beak.

Back
Top Bottom