Ventilation and run access

mckeecoop

Hatching
Jul 8, 2016
Jacksonville FL
I was wondering about ventilation here in Florida, our summers are super hot (in the 100's most days!), and our winters are warm all through Christmas (until about February it gets a little chilly)! So, how much ventilation would we be needing? Also, how much access do you guys give your chickens to the run during summer and winter nights? Thanks!
smile.png

Your coop should be as open as possible, with a sheltered area in the back of the coop, so they can get out of the rain if needed. And the front of that sheltered area should be open. My birds have open access to their run year round, no matter the temp. If they want to come out, they are totally free to do so.

Mine as well. I also have a barn fan mounted in my coop near the large front window. Our hottest days, 105' (not including the humidity 113') are usually windless.

This circulates my coop a little faster than normal heating convection up and out through the upper windows.

My coop is always open to the run. The pop door is never closed.

In Florida (used to live there) air flow and rain/sun shelter are your main priority. Cold down there isn't even a chicken issue.

I also give mine open access to the run. They don't seem to be spending much time in the coop other then to eat.They are 16 weeks now and I am wondering if they will go in the nest boxes to lay.

Back
Top Bottom