Ventilation question

BlossomSilkies

Crowing
13 Years
Jan 29, 2011
Niles, MI
I just read through several ventilation threads, but I need individualized advise. I'm new to construction and cutting holes in buildings. I have a jigsaw, and used that to cut the hole for the chicken door. I also have a rotary cutter, which didn't do much on wood, I think that is more for drywall. Live and learn.

I have converted my 8'x12' shed to a coop. I just added an automated door to the run. This shed has no windows at all at the moment. I live in SW Michigan, so 4 seasons, snow, can be warm in the summer, etc. etc. This shed does not have power to it. I have run an extension cord from the garage to power the waterer over the winter and the heating panel for the babies oh and the light. If I can power with solar, I prefer it. I have solar cameras out there now, they work great!

My initial concern was fresh air, but now I am thinking it may get hot in there in the summer, so keeping it at a safe temperature for my flock (8 silkies) is also a concern.

I was thinking about a solar powered exhaust fan that they have on Amazon. But after reading the threads, it seems I need additional ventilation as well. Tell me what you think about this, remember, my skill level for this is beginner.

1. Cut a hole on either end, high up and cover with hardware cloth. Is that a problem in the winter? I guess I could cover that with something in the winter.
2. Do I need an exhaust fan on either end (separate from the holes in number 1)? or just one exhaust fan? or is an exhaust fan even necessary? Should the exhaust blow out or inside?
3. Should I add a window? I have a little window I could use if I could figure out how to install it, lol.
4. What about these doors? Could I do something with them, like make a dutch door out of one of them to open during the day? Or what about cutting out one of the upper red parts and putting screen or hardware cloth? But I think I'd want to somehow close that up as well. How could I do that?

Here are some pictures. I can take more if there is something specific you would want to see. Those doors face north.

Thank you :)

IMG_8431.jpg

IMG_8433.jpg

IMG_8434.jpg

Figure you need 8 sf of open ventilation 24/7/365, 1 sf/bird. (But "open" also means covered with hardware cloth, to keep out predators.)

Can you open up the peak areas above the doors, and the same area on the other end? You want the ventilation to be above the birds' heads when they roost at night.

Chicken coops are D.U.S.T.Y! While a fan could help move air, motors can catch fire from the dust. Not saying it wouldn't work, just that any ol' fan won't cut it.

I'm in Michigan too. :frowHi, neighbor!

Gambel roofs are difficult to vent well, but removing all the siding on both ends of the gables from the height of the top of the door will be a good start.

Repecka Illustrates Coop Ventilation

Fans in coops are tricky due to the high levels of dust that, at best, choke the motor and cause the fan to fail and, at worst, catch fire. If you use one be sure to use one that's rated for barn use.

Other options include installing a monitor in the roof -- as shown in this plastic shed conversion: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-scoop-on-a-rubbermaid-big-max-coop.76444/

And those "chef's hat" roof turbines that don't require power to run them. But beware that these may not function in snow and that you still need ventilation in the winter. :)

Back
Top Bottom