Ventilation - what are the basics?

I still say ventilation. I have wiggled with space. In the most extreme cold/snow climates, I'd put them equal.
I will defer to your experience - as you know, I am a proponent of more than the usual space recommends, perhaps because its the one essentially free thing I can offer my chickens in abundance.

I will defer to your experience - as you know, I am a proponent of more than the usual space recommends, perhaps because its the one essentially free thing I can offer my chickens in abundance.
Not so much experience as it is taking advantage of climate. With your "free" space, do you still have 4 sf/each in the coop?

Not so much experience as it is taking advantage of climate. With your "free" space, do you still have 4 sf/each in the coop?
well, the one coop is 8x12 (upper), less 16 sq ft - so 20 birds. The other coop is 10 x 16, that's another 40 birds. The ducks don't count, they nest on the ground, but they have 136 sq ft for themselves downstairs. There's another 46 sq ft in the barn for the littles...

So, Yes?

well, the one coop is 8x12 (upper), less 16 sq ft - so 20 birds. The other coop is 10 x 16, that's another 40 birds. The ducks don't count, they nest on the ground, but they have 136 sq ft for themselves downstairs. There's another 46 sq ft in the barn for the littles...

So, Yes?
Well done. I do not have the usual recommend on floor space in the coop. It is compensated by shelter in the run joining right by the coop door.

Well done. I do not have the usual recommend on floor space in the coop. It is compensated by shelter in the run joining right by the coop door.
Given our climates, its almost silly not to have a semi-fluid house/run. Though I didn't know that when I built my first hen house. Live and learn.

Thanks for all the input! Greatly appreciated! I quite like the idea of a hoop design. I'm leaning towards building 50mm pressure pvc for a rectangular base and 1" irrigation black poly pipe for the curved roof. The 50mm pressure pvc is very strong and lightweight, but more costly at $45 AUD per 6 meter length. The fittings (elbow and tee pieces) are around $3 AUD each so they add up. The 1" black poly pipe is affordable at $1 per meter.
I'm trying to figure out how I could have ventilation with a hoop style coop...
Any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom