Venting about Roosters

Moved to the country, got things ready for chooks then picked out 8 different chicks from TSC. Wanted to look out and see different colors and sizes. We do not care for eggs and rarely eat meat. Just always wanted chickens. From that 8 we now have 32 total mixed breeds with 11 being roos. I love my roos!! Only had one asshole one that after months of his attacks more n more aggressive, he was culled. The others all respect us... moving to the rear of their run/coop areas when we come in, they treat their girls nice. We hatched a few babies this fall and two of my boys actually take an interest in the babes in their areas. We had a surprise cold snap one weekend and when I checked on them my handsome Joey even had his two babies under his wing for warmth!! One babe was on his back sleeping one night. But then the hen in that run/coop runs the show. Poor Joey is literally henpecked. She made him sit in the nest box on the eggs one time. Lol!! But my big boy Mr Spot comes up cause he does like to be petted. Most of ours are bantams but the boys add eye candy to our different flocks. I use my birds for relaxing. Just caring for them, watching them makes for a good end to a day of dealing with people all day. We have two flocks with two boys and there have not been any issues but they were raised together since birth so guess they worked it all out who was in charge.

Moved to the country, got things ready for chooks then picked out 8 different chicks from TSC. Wanted to look out and see different colors and sizes. We do not care for eggs and rarely eat meat. Just always wanted chickens. From that 8 we now have 32 total mixed breeds with 11 being roos. I love my roos!! Only had one asshole one that after months of his attacks more n more aggressive, he was culled. The others all respect us... moving to the rear of their run/coop areas when we come in, they treat their girls nice. We hatched a few babies this fall and two of my boys actually take an interest in the babes in their areas. We had a surprise cold snap one weekend and when I checked on them my handsome Joey even had his two babies under his wing for warmth!! One babe was on his back sleeping one night. But then the hen in that run/coop runs the show. Poor Joey is literally henpecked. She made him sit in the nest box on the eggs one time. Lol!! But my big boy Mr Spot comes up cause he does like to be petted. Most of ours are bantams but the boys add eye candy to our different flocks. I use my birds for relaxing. Just caring for them, watching them makes for a good end to a day of dealing with people all day. We have two flocks with two boys and there have not been any issues but they were raised together since birth so guess they worked it all out who was in charge.
I have two roosters in my flock as well and they don't seem to fight at all. They are brothers.

I have two roosters in my flock as well and they don't seem to fight at all. They are brothers.
Mine showed me that roos are kind dads. They seem to be teaching them to scratch, Joey and Jamieson even tid bit snacks for their babies. Joey has one of the babies cling to him everywhere. Ricky is a nice roo. Not a great roo but nice. He just ignores his babies and he really does not give up treats to his wives. But he is calm and watches out for his family.

Yeah it's pretty messed up. Everyone claims they love animals taking the utmost care of hens naming them the best food, bedding everything. Until someone realizes they may have a baby rooster then everybody says basically to murder them. That's ok as long as it's the codeword "freezercamp". But I guess it's ok to kill them though from all the self proclaimed animal lovers.

Yeah it's pretty messed up. Everyone claims they love animals taking the utmost care of hens naming them the best food, bedding everything. Until someone realizes they may have a baby rooster then everybody says basically to murder them. That's ok as long as it's the codeword "freezercamp". But I guess it's ok to kill them though from all the self proclaimed animal lovers.
I kept two for breeding and I have meat chicks. I see no issues in meat chickens or raising your own meat.

I'm an animal lover, but that does not mean my family doesn't eat chicken. I don't eat meat, but I'll butcher it for my family. I have livestock and I have pets.

I think it's funny when people say they couldn't kill a chicken, but buy chicken meat at the grocery store.

Mine showed me that roos are kind dads. They seem to be teaching them to scratch, Joey and Jamieson even tid bit snacks for their babies. Joey has one of the babies cling to him everywhere. Ricky is a nice roo. Not a great roo but nice. He just ignores his babies and he really does not give up treats to his wives. But he is calm and watches out for his family.
My cockerels have been amazing except when they are in that hormonal stage, but they calm down after that.

Nhes probably not one of the singers I listen to. Or maybe I know the song but not its name.
It's a story of a guy that was in prison, got friendly with the warden and was tasked with caring for the dog that they used to track and catch the runaways, the dog is "ol red". He gets someone (I can't remember if it was a friend or relative) to send him a blue-tick hound bitch and he hid her out in the swamp to the south of the jail, he would take Red for visits when he took him out for a walk. Then when she went in heat he escaped, when they let Red out he took off south to his girlfriend while the guy went north to freedom.

One of the fewish modern country songs that actually tells a decent story, I prefer the old style country but this one is a decent song.

Back
Top Bottom