Verifying sex-links

LikeTurkeys

Crowing
5 Years
Jul 25, 2018
Southern California
I have a Dominique x Easter Egger cross who is barred with no apparent leakage from her mother. I wanted to make sex-links out of her, so I put her with my RIR rooster. She was separated with him for 2 weeks before I started collecting eggs so that I could make sure there were no genes mixed in from her Dominique father. All 7 eggs I set from her hatched! 4 were black with a white spot on their head which I am assuming are male (since the barring gene only passes from the hen to her male offspring). Out of the other three, one is black with a white tummy and a tiny bit of white on the edges of the wings (but no head spot), and the others are brown with chipmunk stripes (they almost look like EE chicks, especially the muffed one). I'm assuming these are female, but I wanted to make sure! Photos are attached. The 4 chicks I am presuming are male look exactly the one with the head spot in the first photo, with the exception that one has muffs. I appreciate feedback, thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_7404_LI.jpg
    IMG_7404_LI.jpg
    343.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_7380_LI.jpg
    IMG_7380_LI.jpg
    390.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6534_LI.jpg
    IMG_6534_LI.jpg
    549.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6494_LI.jpg
    IMG_6494_LI.jpg
    624.2 KB · Views: 13
The black chick with the white spot is very likely a sex link, because we have had a chick that was like that, and he grew up to be a male, and we have one currently, as for the all-black, that one you might have to wait and see.
And the yellow chicks, I honestly couldn't tell you.
But four with white spots, buckle up, that must be a lot of roosters!

They are all beautiful chicks!
Great breeding!
Thank you :) I planned this one out as second gen crosses. My Dominique rooster is now a proud grandfather.
The black chick with the white spot is very likely a sex link, because we have had a chick that was like that, and he grew up to be a male, and we have one currently, as for the all-black, that one you might have to wait and see.
And the yellow chicks, I honestly couldn't tell you.
But four with white spots, buckle up, that must be a lot of roosters!
I'm thinking they are all sex-links, but some are female sex-links and some are male. So the ones with white spots are male because they have a barring gene, and the ones without (I am hoping!) are female. Is there any chance that the barring gene somehow wouldn't pass on to all male offspring from the hen and result in non-barred male chicks? I hope not! This is also a concern to me because of the mother's heritage, not being pure barred but a mix.

There is no way she wouldn't pass barring to every male offspring. Since barring is sex linked and she is barred she only has the barring gene to pass on to them.

Back
Top Bottom