Very aggressive silkie hen/What to do?

Bryce Thomas

Songster
Mar 21, 2021
Gilbert, AZ
Yes, you heard the title correct. An aggressive silkie hen. Nobody seems to believe me, but its true. About half a month ago I posted about it, but since I am thinking about slaughtering her to get rid of her and how few people gave me any tips last time, I am going to ask again.

She has only gotten worse since I posted last time. Every time I go into the run or coop she always charges at me like a rooster and bites me. Before you start asking how she might be a rooster, news flash, she ain't. I seen her lay eggs. I don't know why she suddenly got so aggressive. I noticed about a month ago she would attack my sandals and phone case when I let her and everyone else free range.

I watched her hatch in the incubator, watched her life grow in the brooder with the other baby naked necks and everything else. Her mother is a show hen, she is also a silkie, named Shadow. Her father is the most well behaved rooster I know, who is also a silkie, named Koa. She was perfect, until a month ago when I noticed she would attack my sandals and phone case. I thought it was kind of cute and shrugged it off. Then I noticed she would charge at me the same way an aggressive rooster long ago did, every time I was about to enter the run, she would charge at me but never peck me.

4 days of bluff charging, then she finally bit me, I have worked with birds for years, this was not one of those 'is this food?' kind of peck but an actual bite. Since that day it has been hell. I cant turn my back to her, I have to always watch her. She bites me at least 3 times when I enter the coop, or even just the run. The bites always draw blood and start bleeding.

And yes, I have searched up why she is aggressive. I moved her into a flock of just herself, a second hen of shadow being her mother, and another friendly but unrelated white silkie hen. 3 girls, all silkies, that's it. When I made this specific flock, I only chose the most friendliest girls who were all silkies and already knew each other. They have been away from the main flock and away from the rooster for at least 3 months and have all gotten along just fine. The black hen never bullies the other 2, but is very aggressive to me. I have tried everything, jabbing my finger into her to imitate a hen biting her, standing up for myself, stomping the ground, charging back at her, kicking her, feeding her treats and everything else. Nothing works. I'm considering killing the bird to get it over with her.

I know a fascinating phenomena can occur when a hen can turn to a rooster when her oviduct is damaged, but that is certainly not the case here. Its strange, she is a hen with healthy organs, yet she carries herself like a rooster and has the temperment of an untrained rooster.

She makes no sounds, actions, or anything of a rooster other than how she walks (sometimes) and meanness. Other than that, she is a hen, definitely a hen.

If anybody has tips that are actually helpful and not something that I have actually tried, I would LOVE to hear them. By the way, I keep this flock as pets, not meat or eggs. The reason I don't just avoid the black hen is because I love them as pets, pets should not be aggressive.

On the left is the aggressive hen, on the right is her mother, Shadow. In the middle is a sweet but unrelated flock member who is very friendly and loved humans and other chickens.
PXL_20220413_223442012.MP.jpg

And one last thing, did I mention she is a hen and not a rooster?

I've had Silkies be aggressive when they are broody, but this is beyond hormonal rage. She just sounds absolutely stinky.

You've tried absolutely everything I would have suggested. I'm so sorry none of it has worked.

I need to live in harmony with my flock, and I simply won't tolerate any open aggression (other than a firm peck from a broody sitting on eggs...that's natural). But to be hunted down?

Place my vote for time for the crock pot. She just sounds mean.

So sorry.
LofMc

I've had Silkies be aggressive when they are broody, but this is beyond hormonal rage. She just sounds absolutely stinky.

You've tried absolutely everything I would have suggested. I'm so sorry none of it has worked.

I need to live in harmony with my flock, and I simply won't tolerate any open aggression (other than a firm peck from a broody sitting on eggs...that's natural). But to be hunted down?

Place my vote for time for the crock pot. She just sounds mean.

So sorry.
LofMc
Yeah, I don't know what is going on with her. I have decided that I will slaughter her and have her replaced. The only plausible explanation I can think of is a tumor growing in her ovaries that are making her hormones crazy, but idk, I guess I will find out when I autopsy her after processing her

Yeah, I don't know what is going on with her. I have decided that I will slaughter her and have her replaced. The only plausible explanation I can think of is a tumor growing in her ovaries that are making her hormones crazy, but idk, I guess I will find out when I autopsy her after processing her
I think you are making the right choice. Not only for your own safety but for the safety of the flock. If she's going this hard in aggression against you, I feel like it's a matter of time before she turns on her own flock and someone else pays the price.

Aggressive birds need to be culled no matter what sex they are. Usually the aggression you describe is from a young rooster testing things. You could be correct in that her hormones are out of whack due to a tumor or infection. Occasionally a dominant hen will get fiesty but learns quickly when corrected. These kind of decisions are not easy.

Back
Top Bottom