Very few eggs after giving hens red pepper. Why?

Chicky Joy

Songster
11 Years
Jun 22, 2008
I put a little ground red pepper in the feed a few days ago (for a wormer) and have since experienced a dramatic drop in egg production. We got no eggs yesterday, a first for us, and a few eggs today. The chickens seem to be acting fine. Their droppings look more normal than they did a while ago. I'm not sure if that is related or not. Anywho, I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. Has anyone else experienced strange effects after giving their hens red pepper?

Last edited:
Only two eggs a day. I'm a little perplexed and frustrated. We have four dozen eggs that are already ordered, and two dozen were pre-paid for.

This time of year hens normally slow down. Due to lack of light or molting. Also how old are your hens?
I'm not completely sure, but I don't think feeding red pepper would cause the decrease. Some people feed red pepper thinking it will stimulate hens to lay.

Imp

They are all about a year and a half old, some a few months more. I did notice a decline in general throughout the fall but this was a pretty sharp drop off. One day we got 8 and the next day not a single one. We have a light on for three hours in the evening. Not sure if light in the morning would be better.

Well they are the right age.
With the additional light are they getting about 14 hours a day? Most people prefer light in the morning, but that has nothing to do with eggs.
Could they be hiding the eggs or eating them? Long shots I know.
Anything stressing them?
Are they getting enough protein and calcium?

Imp- That's all I got

Chicky Joy,

I have given my chooks red pepper and never noticed a decrease in egg production. Maybe it is a coincedence since winter is nearing and they are laying less??

I have used the red pepper and usually see a bit of an increase in egg production when giving it. Try switching your extra lighting to morning rather that evening hours if possible. Chickens stranded in the dark when the light goes out in the evening get a bit stressed finding the roost in the dark. Also check on the protein available to them, it may need a boost to get them laying again.

It's probably the season and possibly the age of your hens. Mine have their first heavy moult at 18 months and egg production can stop instantly. In addition, we have had such a gloomy,rainy fall, my hens never did get back into the swing of things. I have gotten about 1/2 doz eggs in the past month.

Back
Top Bottom