Very lethargic and sickly hen. Not sure what to do

jazzymbf

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 25, 2014
I have a year old Dutch hen named Jackie who has always been a little stand offish from the flock but within the last week or two we noticed she was acting a little funky. Thought it was a fluke thing so we gave her some time but I picked her up on Friday and noticed she was severely underweight. Her breastbone is very pronounced. She's alert and Ive seen her eating and drinking. She doesn't scratch but she has been taking treats and eating her food. My rooster jumped on her yesterday (he's very large) and she stayed down on the grass until I picked her up. She squawks when I pick her up which is normal for her but she's so lethargic. She does insist on being with the other hens though. Her crop is empty and her poop is a bit watery but not diarrhea. Her vent is clear and I feel like her abdomen is normal. All of the other birds are acting totally normal.

On Friday we gave all of the birds electrolytes and a dewormer. Figured wed give her a day or two and see how she did. She seemed to perk up a bit but today has been listless again. Everything I search online doesn't add up with her symptoms. She's a really good bird so Id like to do what I can for her. I just cant tell whats wrong.

This is a picture of her about a month ago and then just yesterday. Nothing has changed in her environment and the last birds we got were in January from a disease free flock (actually raised by a veterinarian)

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Can you post a poop picture? Have you checked for lice and mites? Worming as Dawg suggested is usually where I start with mine.

-Kathy

I haven't seen lice or mites anywhere. I may not be able to post a poop picture. Im away right now with my parents watching them. Its the normal color though, just watery. I checked for blood or any discoloration and haven't seen any. OK, Ill have them pick something up.

I haven't seen lice or mites anywhere. I may not be able to post a poop picture. Im away right now with my parents watching them. Its the normal color though, just watery. I checked for blood or any discoloration and haven't seen any. OK, Ill have them pick something up.
It's also a good idea to keep the sick ones in a warm room (80-85 degrees is ideal).

-Kathy

OK, Ive been keeping her separate and she's been on a dewormer for 3 days and she seemed perkier last night but today seems to have issues with her legs.

Just wanted to say she deteriorated a lot overnight and we decided it was too much on her and took her to the vet. She was humanely euthanized this morning. Thanks for all the help you've all given. She had a mass in her abdomen that none of us ever saw. My other birds are doing well so I think it was an isolated case.

Back
Top Bottom