Very odd behavior

robomb

Songster
9 Years
Aug 15, 2011
Northern Vermont
I wrote about my hen Sansa RIR a few months ago as she lived through a dog attack that killed all the other hens, except Emme who had flown over the stockade fence to the neighbor's. Sansa managed to hide (sort of) under the coop - when I got her out, she had horrible wounds and missing flesh - I didn't think she'd survive. After a couple of days, I ended up giving her 4 days of penicillin injections. Remarkably she survived (hence her name, for anyone who watches Game of Thrones). After a few weeks building her strength and appetite back, she started laying, but she was really bored at being stuck inside in the dog crate. I moved her outside to the coop with Emme. She was very happy, and adapted well. Several weeks later I got 6 new laying hens, and had them in half the run area with a fence between them. After two weeks I let them mingle, and they did great, so the fence never went back up. Sansa is clearly the Head Chicken haha - feisty and talkative. The odd behavior that I have seen on several occasions now is she tries to mate with the other hens. Has anyone ever seen this before? Is this a dominant behavior? I didn't think females would ever do this, but my neighbor and I watched as she mounted another hen and pretended to do her thing.

Back
Top Bottom