Very Sad News

C&C Chickens

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 28, 2010
Bay Area
We came home today to find that our beloved Sally had died. We are heartbroken, especially since it appears that she drowned. The contractor doing some work on our house found her floating in a bucket full of water in our backyard. We didn't realize the danger that a chicken could face with a bucket full of water. We've learned an important and very sad lesson. The irony is that we spent so much effort to keep them safe from predators. She wasn't even a year old, and was our most prolific layer so far. We are going to really miss her.

Sally at three months:
64250_sally001.jpg

That is so sad.
sad.png
Now I'm worried about my silkies------there are 2 buckets of water in the coop for their drinking water. The one the silkies use is a small ice cream bucket. Hope they'll be o.k.

Very sorry for your loss.
sad.png
We had a horse that would knock chickens into the water trough. Could not for the life of us figure out why we kept getting drowned birds until we saw her do it....

Sorry for your loss!

Drdoolitttle, I'd place rocks, bricks or something simular in the buckets in order to give them something to stand on if they ever get stuck in it, for all and not just for silkies!

Back
Top Bottom