Very sick 4 1/2 month old chicken. Please help!

leennee

Hatching
9 Years
Jul 17, 2010
I have noticed for quite some time that my chicken would stand on her hocks instead of her feet when she would eat. Then a few days ago she started stumbling and by the time we got home from work she could not even stand. We brought her inside the house and put her on cage rest. The first day she would eat but after that she just stopped. I have been syringe feeding her for the past 2 1/2 days. She will eat some of the baby parrot food cereal we are feeding her but nothing else. She still can't walk and now she seem to be having trouble breathing. I don't know what else to do. Please help!

Last edited:
My original chicken has died and now a different one is starting to stumble. Please help!!!!

This could be a few different things-POSSIBLY botulism or Mareks(could be something else as well).
Is it possible they have gotten into moldy feed?
It could also POSSIBLY be Mareks Disease. Were your birds vaccinated against Mareks?
You said you had noticed for quite some time that your bird was walking on her hocks-how long, do you think?

Last edited:
I purchased these chickens from a feed store and am unsure as to if they were vaccinated. The first chicken had been standing on her hocks while eating for about a month. The chicken who is now showing signs of illness just started this behavior last night.

My chickens have access to a lot a land during the day and are pinned up at night. They could be getting into something that I am not aware of. They always have access to fresh food and water though.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom