Very sick hen, picture

FourandSix

Songster
9 Years
Mar 28, 2012
Eugene, Oregon
I found my hen laying in the nest box, there was blood so I checked on her and found her like this. What could this be?
70A45AEB-DCD2-4CB1-9085-E95827ADD805.jpeg

This is a little hard for me to see. Could it be a predator or pecking injury? I have heard of chickens getting ascites and then rupturing their abdomens after jumping off a roost. Could it be that?
I haven’t seen the other chickens picking on her, and we’ve never had problems with predators. Could it be flystrike?

It doesn’t look like flystrike, but more like proud flesh either from an injury or wound opening. Do you see any maggots? It is hard to tell that it is below the vent in your picture. Is it off to one side? Any more pictures? Does it look like something has come out of her, or is it a wound? Do you have a rooster who might have cut her with a spur? Do you have any Vetericyn or saline you can spray in it?

It doesn’t look like flystrike, but more like proud flesh either from an injury or wound opening. Do you see any maggots? It is hard to tell that it is below the vent in your picture. Is it off to one side? Any more pictures? Does it look like something has come out of her, or is it a wound? Do you have a rooster who might have cut her with a spur? Do you have any Vetericyn or saline you can spray in it?
There are maggots, I have been trying to remove them. It’s not off to one side, just right underneath the vent. It almost looks like a tumor (it’s round) but I don’t think it is. I don’t have a rooster. I am going to go and get some...should I do vetericyn or saline or both?

Well, if there are maggots, I would not use the Vetericyn, but bathe her in warm Epsom salts or soapy water. Then after removing all maggots seen, dry her, and apply plain neosporin or triple antibiotic ointment to the wound. The bath may need to be repeated in the morning. Vetericyn is good for wounds, but the neospoin will help kill the maggots and germs.

Is that an open area where the skin is cut and the intestine is exposed ? What you call the round "tumour" ? It looks to me like her cushion area has been sliced open and her intestine is exposed.
If that is the case, bathe her, and suture the skin back together before it gets too dry and shrinks.
Once that is done, apply generous amounts of triple antibiotic daily to the closure.
Clip the poopy feathers around the vent to keep flies off.
Hope this helps !

Is that an open area where the skin is cut and the intestine is exposed ? What you call the round "tumour" ? It looks to me like her cushion area has been sliced open and her intestine is exposed.
If that is the case, bathe her, and suture the skin back together before it gets too dry and shrinks.
Once that is done, apply generous amounts of triple antibiotic daily to the closure.
Clip the poopy feathers around the vent to keep flies off.
Hope this helps !
I don’t think it’s intestine, it actually kind of looks like a brain

Back
Top Bottom