Very strange growth with what looks like necrosis but also feathers??

Here is a picture of a feather cyst with feathers coming out of it:
https://bitchinchickens.com/2020/12/03/case-study-feather-follicle-cyst/
Ooooh no, that looks... very similar. Different shape, but very similar. We do not have access to an avian vet here; I hate to think we'll have to remove this at home. The thing is, it is on her neck, and the thought of it growing into her spine and killing her is horrible. On the other hand, she's a red sex link who's almost SIX YEARS OLD so like... how much longer does she really have anyway, and is the trauma of home surgery going to cause more problems than it solves? I don't know what to do 😢

Ooooh no, that looks... very similar. Different shape, but very similar. We do not have access to an avian vet here; I hate to think we'll have to remove this at home. The thing is, it is on her neck, and the thought of it growing into her spine and killing her is horrible. On the other hand, she's a red sex link who's almost SIX YEARS OLD so like... how much longer does she really have anyway, and is the trauma of home surgery going to cause more problems than it solves? I don't know what to do 😢
If the chicken is an otherwise strong and healthy chicken, they can take a lot of stress before it causes issues. Surgery might be worthwhile depending on how comfortable you are with the procedure. I believe chickens can live up to ten years and beyond.

If it isn’t a feather cyst, it may well be a squamous cell cancer of the skin. So hopefully, it is a feather cyst, since that isn’t fatal. I would probe it with a sterilized needle after cleaning the skin with a disinfectant looking for an ingrown feather or pus. Others have said that a skin cancer may not affect their quality of life for a long time.

If the chicken is an otherwise strong and healthy chicken, they can take a lot of stress before it causes issues. Surgery might be worthwhile depending on how comfortable you are with the procedure. I believe chickens can live up to ten years and beyond.
It's pretty uncommon for golden comets to live much past 3 or 4 years; she's an old, old lady for a production hen. But she does seem otherwise strong and healthy so I'm going to try to treat this as soon as I can secure a second set of hands.

If it isn’t a feather cyst, it may well be a squamous cell cancer of the skin. So hopefully, it is a feather cyst, since that isn’t fatal. I would probe it with a sterilized needle after cleaning the skin with a disinfectant looking for an ingrown feather or pus. Others have said that a skin cancer may not affect their quality of life for a long time.
Thank you. I was worried it might be cancer and figured if it was, we would just let her go on as long as she seemed happy and not suffering, for however long that might be. But yes, as soon as I can get a second set of hands (should be tomorrow), I'm going to see if it's a feather cyst. Thank you for all your help, it's hugely appreciated!

It's pretty uncommon for golden comets to live much past 3 or 4 years; she's an old, old lady for a production hen. But she does seem otherwise strong and healthy so I'm going to try to treat this as soon as I can secure a second set of hands.
I will admit I did forget what breed of chicken she was... but best of luck to you for your attempt! :)

Back
Top Bottom