Very urgent! Duck head and eye injuries!!

kaydehill

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 31, 2012
I am experienced in keeping ducks and ducklings however in this situation I do not have a clue. I have woke up to find this poor duckling who is currently on his own with this horrible injuries on his head and if its still there over his eye. It does however look like his eye is gone. I presume this to be by a cat. Unfortunately due to unknown reasons the door of the coop was left with a gap from a log being wedged between. He/she is resting inside the coop showing to be frightened however not stunned as I can see he/she continues to perform usual acts such as drinking eating grooming and cheeping as normal.
Any advice on what to d would be a great help thanks!

Wow, poor little thing. Must be a trooper though to live through that. Please keep us updated. I would suggest that the damage is done and to keep the little guy clean and hydrated.
Good luck.

Yes it is! on closer inspection the gap was not at all big enough for a cat I think the likely culprit is a rat and I did see one scurry away from the pen as I walked closer. I have moved the duckling into a free rabbit hutch and have treated the wound with antiseptic cream.

Yes it is! on closer inspection the gap was not at all big enough for a cat I think the likely culprit is a rat and I did see one scurry away from the pen as I walked closer. I have moved the duckling into a free rabbit hutch and have treated the wound with antiseptic cream.
Poor baby, your going to have to keep that duckling inside to keep the flies off if you get maggots there is not much hope for it. Keep treating with some warm salt water just letting it run down over it's face, and if you can get some veterycin spray TSC carries it it's a awesome spray for wounds and infections. But main thing is keeping it away from flies.
and may I ask why a young duckling would be kept by itself outside? that had to of been terrifying for it.

Last edited:
Well its five weeks and its only a small outside space with a small coop, its been getting loads of attention just currently I don't have anyothers

I have had it in the house since birth its not like its always been out

Well its five weeks and its only a small outside space with a small coop, its been getting loads of attention just currently I don't have anyothers
I'm sorry if I put you on the defensive, just looks so little to be outside alone. I hope it makes it without any problems.
fl.gif

Its quite altright to be honest it does look tiny in that picture it seems around the same size as your profile picture if not bigger and thank you (;

Back
Top Bottom