Very weak hatchling

LaynaDon95

Songster
8 Years
Jan 18, 2012
Texas
My buff orpington is hatching babies as we speak. Overnight, or sometime this morning, one of her babies hatched, but something went wrong. I don't know what's wrong with him, though. I found the shell he hatched out of and it was unusually soggy, with a bit of yolk and blood left in it. He has a mass of wet, bloody stuff hanging from his "umbilical cord" or "belly button" or whatever you call that. It doesn't look that unusual, but it should be dried by now. He was not quite tucked underneath Mama hen when I found him, so he was cold. He also smells funny. Like a rotten egg. I tucked him under Mama, but got worried about him, so I pulled him out and put him in the incubator. He's perking up a little, but still has his eyes closed. Should I try to dropper feed him some sugar water or electrolyte water? Should I leave him and let nature take its course?
idunno.gif

Oh, goody. He's perking up really well. Not out of the woods yet, but he's moving around, peeping a bit, but still not opening his eyes. He's fluffing up though, finally. Hopefully he'll pull through and be a healthy, egg laying hen.
wink.png

It sounds like he didn't finish absorbing the yolk sac before he hatched. You can dip his beak in a little sugar water to give him a boost or give him some chick saver if you have any, that would help too. With the umbilical cord/yolk situation get some antibiotic cream on that area asap. Use one without painkiller. This will help prevent infections.

He didn't finish absorbing his yolk. I guess I should have included that. You know that fat belly look that newly chicks have? Yeah, he doesn't have that. But I've had quite a few chicks hatch without fully absorbing their yolk and they've been fine, so I didn't figure that would be a big deal.
As far as antibiotic cream, does it have to be cream or can it be ointment? I have triple antibiotic ointment. (offbrand Neosporin without pain killer) Would that work?

Woah, woah, woah. I just realized who you were. Hey Sumi!
frow.gif
When did you become a mod? I sure did miss a lot when I was off for a few weeks. Congrats!

He didn't finish absorbing his yolk. I guess I should have included that. You know that fat belly look that newly chicks have? Yeah, he doesn't have that. But I've had quite a few chicks hatch without fully absorbing their yolk and they've been fine, so I didn't figure that would be a big deal.
As far as antibiotic cream, does it have to be cream or can it be ointment? I have triple antibiotic ointment. (offbrand Neosporin without pain killer) Would that work?
Ointment's fine. I just find cream is easier to apply! Try not to pull on the cord stump, just dab the ointment on all over it.

Woah, woah, woah. I just realized who you were. Hey Sumi!
frow.gif
When did you become a mod? I sure did miss a lot when I was off for a few weeks. Congrats!
LOL yeah, I haven't seen you for awhile. Where have you been? I became a mod in February.

Thanks!

Ointment's fine. I just find cream is easier to apply! Try not to pull on the cord stump, just dab the ointment on all over it.
Okay! Thanks! He's doing really well. :)
LOL yeah, I haven't seen you for awhile. Where have you been? I became a mod in February.

Thanks!
I've been SO busy. Mostly taking care of my animals. I've just gotten pet rats, my hens are hatching clutch after clutch, and I've been raising a huge order from Ideal. It's been fun, I've just not had time to visit with all you fine folk.
wink.png

...So... I haven't given him sugar water or electrolytes yet, as I just got home, but I'm think he might be uh... *ahem* retarded... He's just not quite right... I'll give him some electrolytes and see how he does. I hope he doesn't turn out to be a special ed chicken.
hide.gif

He died.
sad.png
He did really well, lived a couple days normally, then I found him, almost frozen to death the other night. He had found his way out of his mama's nesting box and couldn't get back in. I took him inside and warmed him up. He did great, running around the incubator playing with some hatchmates when I went to bed. When I woke up he was dead. No idea why. He probably just had something wrong with him. Can't save 'em all I guess.

Back
Top Bottom