Vet Rx Help

Chirpchirp19

Songster
Mar 11, 2019
Western New York
Hello! I have a hen sneezing that's very high pitched. She did it a couple times this morning and my husband said she hasn't done it since. I did have him bring her in away from the rest just in case. I bought Vet Rx, how to I use it the instructions are confusing. Can I put it in their drinking water? Do I put it on the birds one by one? I have 19 birds so that's a bit much...Thank you in advance!

Hello! I have a hen sneezing that's very high pitched. She did it a couple times this morning and my husband said she hasn't done it since. I did have him bring her in away from the rest just in case. I bought Vet Rx, how to I use it the instructions are confusing. Can I put it in their drinking water? Do I put it on the birds one by one? I have 19 birds so that's a bit much...Thank you in advance!
I had the same question when I got it! Had no idea what to do with it. To apply it, put some vetrx on your fingers (a few drops or so) and rub it on and around the hens nostrils, as well as wattles and comb. You can also apply it by lifting the wig and applying some on the skin of her (you’ll see a little bald spot). From what I understand, you can also dilute it in some water, not quite sure on it though. Put the bottle in warm water before you use it as it states it’s more effective. Good luck!

I had the same question when I got it! Had no idea what to do with it. To apply it, put some vetrx on your fingers (a few drops or so) and rub it on and around the hens nostrils, as well as wattles and comb. You can also apply it by lifting the wig and applying some on the skin of her (you’ll see a little bald spot). From what I understand, you can also dilute it in some water, not quite sure on it though. Put the bottle in warm water before you use it as it states it’s more effective. Good luck!

If this doesn't help and things get worse, antibiotics are the next step...are you aware of any that have good reviews?

I cannot help with the Vet Rx—it is just herbal oils with some camphor, similar to Vicks, and I have no experience with it. But a couple of sneezes does not sound very serious. Chickens can sneeze when dust or feed gets into the nostrils, and sometimes they can react to something environmental. But if you hear sneezing every every few minutes, or see watery/bubbly eye, nasal drainage, or wheezing, then it might be a respiratory disease. Infectious bronchitis, MG, ILT, and coryza are some of the different ones. Only MG and coryza would improve with antibiotics, so the symptoms are important to differentiate. The others are viruses, and those have to run their course.

I cannot help with the Vet Rx—it is just herbal oils with some camphor, similar to Vicks, and I have no experience with it. But a couple of sneezes does not sound very serious. Chickens can sneeze when dust or feed gets into the nostrils, and sometimes they can react to something environmental. But if you hear sneezing every every few minutes, or see watery/bubbly eye, nasal drainage, or wheezing, then it might be a respiratory disease. Infectious bronchitis, MG, ILT, and coryza are some of the different ones.
X2. My hens often sneeze when they eat or drink too fast.

I cannot help with the Vet Rx—it is just herbal oils with some camphor, similar to Vicks, and I have no experience with it. But a couple of sneezes does not sound very serious. Chickens can sneeze when dust or feed gets into the nostrils, and sometimes they can react to something environmental. But if you hear sneezing every every few minutes, or see watery/bubbly eye, nasal drainage, or wheezing, then it might be a respiratory disease. Infectious bronchitis, MG, ILT, and coryza are some of the different ones. Only MG and coryza would improve with antibiotics, so the symptoms are important to differentiate. The others are viruses, and those have to run their course.

The sneeze was very high pitched and probably about 5 in a row. My husband said she hasn't been sneezing since he brought her inside.

I would only use an antibiotic if there were bubbles in an eye, or the eye was swollen or had pus. That is a sign of mycoplasma (MG,) a bacterial sinus infection. Tylan (tylosin) would be the treatment for MG, and dosage is 1 tsp per gallon of water for 3-5 days. You can order it here:
https://www.nepigeonsupplies.com/product/tylosin-powder/

Back
Top Bottom