Vet willing to admin hormone implant

Sarahh_Janeyy

Songster
Dec 12, 2019
North Florida
I know this is controversial.

Deslorelin (Suprelorin) is an implant used in ferrets to stop ovulation. It's been used in avian (including chickens) off label to do the same, which helps in various reproductive system related ailments. We have in the past lost a chicken due to egg yolk peritonitis (ruptured oviduct) and we have a chicken currently that is likely suffering from egg yolk peritonitis and would benefit from an implant. Unfortunately, many vets will not administer the implant (understandably) because this is not legal for use in chickens. This hasn't stopped people from being able to get these implants for their babies, however... So if someone has a vet that will do this somewhere near N Central Florida (I am in Gainesville) within a few hours driving distance, please send me a PM. We'd be very grateful.

More info:
https://poultrydvm.com/drugs/deslorelin

Hopefully someone may chime in with vet info for you, but often the best way to find out which vet may offer the service is the good old-fashioned way.

Let your fingers do the walking...give them all a call:)

Good luck with your search.

Hopefully someone may chime in with vet info for you, but often the best way to find out which vet may offer the service is the good old-fashioned way.

Let your fingers do the walking...give them all a call:)

Good luck with your search.
I've been through this already not too long ago for a chicken that had a stuck egg- she ended up getting surgery, she had torsion of the oviduct. I called EVERYWHERE remotely nearby, it was very hard to even find a place that would see chickens here due to avian flu fears, much less treat them or do surgery. Most avian vets stopped seeing chickens a few years ago. :(

I've been through this already not too long ago for a chicken that had a stuck egg- she ended up getting surgery, she had torsion of the oviduct. I called EVERYWHERE remotely nearby, it was very hard to even find a place that would see chickens here due to avian flu fears, much less treat them or do surgery. Most avian vets stopped seeing chickens a few years ago. :(
Sorry you had to deal with that.

Unfortunately, most vets do not see Poultry/Livestock. The implant might prove to be helpful for some hens and extend life and improve quality of life at times too. Sadly, a hen that has a reproductive disorder will eventually succumb at some point, even with an implant.

Back
Top Bottom