Victory for Tennesseans against NAIS

Quote:
I agree with you 100%

Yes I do feel that we need to spend money to improve nutritional value and food safty in the nation. I also fell that the us needs to quit makeing hybrid and genetically modified foods I do not fill that some of the high production food now raised are good for human consumtion this is why I only rasie only heirloom plants. Some feed corn is modified to incress the weight of cattle faster then reg corn what happens when some one eats at cow? I feel they incress weight faster also they have to b/c you eat what tha cow has eat in the past. Hybrid plants that dont produce pollen = less feed for bees, ants, bugs etc in my point of view all critters are important for the human race to survive.

We as a nation / world need to put limits on the number of off spring people have the earth cant not support the current human growth rate. The more off spring = less land = less food = more imports. I also feel the human race is very wastfull just look at a golf corse 50 - 100 ac's or more of wasted land so people can wack a little white ball around in to a hole. Produce corn, rice, cattle, sheep, or some thing on this land and we can cut down on the imports from other nations. If people that have large lot would talke a little time and grow plants and animals at home then we would not need mega production farms that we have today. The price of beef would not be twice the price of chicken. etc I can spend $500 and put a steer in my freezer for what most people will spend $1500 - $2000 for the same amount of beef.

If everybody produced items at home we could bring back the farmers markets and you could buy sell trade local foods. We sell at our local farmers market and every year I see less and less people show up to the market. If the nation would produce items like I have described then the need for NAIS would not bee need we would still need large frams to produce foods for large citys but not for the every day run of the mill person.

Yeah!! I knew we were probably on the same page, just thinking about it from different angles! I love it when that happens. Okay, so other than what we're already doing, which is great for us, but doesn't effect the big picture in any measurable fashion, what do we do next?

By the way, I just finished reading a book called, Deep Economy, by Bill McKibbon, about creating bigger local economies, and things like you're saying. Email me your snail mail address and I'll pass it on.

Mark

I agree with you, Lively about wasted land..don't get me started on Walmarts springing up everywhere. Just how many Rite Aids or Walgreens do we need? Not far from me, a farm that was taken by eminent domain to build another road, another strip mall. That farm had been in the owner's family for generations. People fussed and fumed, wrote letters and the city still took the land. Didn't even give the family a fair price. :thun

Its wasteful to see vast lawns and nothing grown on them. No gardens, no fruit or nut trees, no goats or cows, no chickens, just grass. There might be a trampoline.... Some of the neighborhoods have their little rules that prevent the residents from gardening, can you believe that?

I better stop before I rant about Monsanto wanting to control the seed market.
Stephanie

two things get my blood boiling these days, NAIS and gun control.

a dollar per animal is unacceptable. the grower houses can use one number per flock, but joe farmer has to do one per animal, there goes the ability to remotely compete.

NAIS is a backdoor method to shut down the little guy. the little guy is the only hope we have of safe food.

the only food scares here in the states have come from large farms using piss poor practices (feeding crap to cows that cows shouldn't eat), and imported crap from china.

what about the meat imported from south america? is that NAIS compliant?

everything that effects business overhead is bad.

wee.gif
ya.gif
woot.gif

Back
Top Bottom