Video- any hope for chicks leg/foot?

Tracyree

Crowing
13 Years
May 6, 2011
5 day old chick. One leg doesn't work. I don't think its spraddle leg/splayed as it doesn't go out to side. She is getting sav-a-chick in water.

Any ideas at all?

Thanks. I read it and slipped tendon fits the symptoms, but I can't feel that the tendon is slipped.

Thanks. You've been really helpful!

Her hock has gotten swollen and is now bleeding from her using it as a foot. I set her up in a "chick cup" tonight. I will give it a few days with her leg wrapped straight and resting in the cup. If things don't improve by Sunday, I think I'll have to euthanize.

I've had this happen before. I use a roll of self
Stick bandage, cut a small strip and wrap it so that the legs stay closer together. It has worked several times! Just be sure your baby is getting enough food and water.

Thank you lisadee. Do you manually slip the tendon back in or does it eventually do it on its own?

I have had to make a "chick cup" and have her in there now. I have the vet wrap around her leg so that it stays straight and am hoping a few days of rest will heal the site that formed on her hock as well as get the swelling down enough for the tendon to get in place.

She is eating and drinking well.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom