( Video ) I think I found a new reason to cull...

DyingPhoenix

Songster
May 12, 2016
Dewitt, IL
So I have a rooster that I THOUGHT was good. He's good to the girls, he's alert, non-aggressive. Unfortunately, he has converted my entire flock, including my best rooster ever.. Into HATING ME! I'm the enemy, you see. A slavering terrible monster. Lmao.

Let me give you a snippet of what a visit to my yard and pasture entails:

This listening pleasure lasts the moment I'm seen, until the moment I'm gone no matter how long I stay. Imagine that music for hours as you peacefully garden, 100 yards away or just sitting out on your patio enjoying the sunshine.

My once friendly flock, now think I'm a bloodsucking mink!!

The welsummer roo who started this I've moved to the pen with the ducks way out back ( where this video was recorded ) and I moved the flightiest hens that I'm selling back here as well because I've had it with this roo and his most faithful ladies. However, the impact was made and now no one will dare come to any human anymore.

These pens are now off limits as the moment I open the door to enter, birds explode in all directions and have injured themselves bashing into things as well as ripping through the bird netting that I've fixed ( at night ) 3 times now. See, Mr welsummer wasn't supposed to have girlfriends but they tore out of the other pen and tore INTO his on the way down when I tried to feed them. A nice reward for his great behavior! He loves to crow when people are finally about out of his sight, the arrogant little #&$#)&!

Anyone else have this happen before? I never chase or tease my birds and there's no one else around to do it either. He just started soflty alerting at the sight of me even as I brought the best treats, then would screech at me like I was a hawk and it became this behavior and has been this way for months now. He's going to the pot and if these girls don't sell, so are they!

One roo started it all! What a crazy situation. xD

Last edited:
He used to do this to predators and its part of the reason I let him stay here so long. Unfortunately now I'm the enemy too! Today my last nerve was fizzling out when I was trying to do some yard work and had to deal with this absolute ruckus. It's even worse if I'm moving around.

Over time I've felt like I have to try and tiptoe around my own property!

That is the predator warning that chickens make when a predator is close enough to get them

Oh yes, I know. But he does it to me! Nonstop and for no reason. It's frustrating. He gets everyone worked up and has changed my entire flock's demeanor.

Hoping culling him will finally let them relax and come to sit on my lap and eat treats again.

Was he raised around people?

I know chickens raised with little human contact who did that to people even the ones who care for them

Yeah he was. He was hatched here from eggs from a member on here, actually. I had two hatch, him and a sister. The eggs were from a popular thread that also sold marans hatching eggs.

I intended to start a welsummer breeding project but I think that's going to have to wait. The two were raised with a hatch of my own eggs and everyone else is fine, spare the unrelated, flighty EE hens I plan to sell.

Every EE I've ever had was super skittish, have not had good impressions with the 'breed'.

These girls literally fly away and act like they're dying if I get within 20ft which, I suspect may be why I'm an enemy to the rooster, he used to be in with all my layers, including the wild ones. None were raised any differently and all were handfed like all my chicks. He always got worked up when they went into blind panic mode because I set down a shovel.. Or an egg basket, or looked at them, lol.

Last edited:
So I have a rooster that I THOUGHT was good. He's good to the girls, he's alert, non-aggressive. Unfortunately, he has converted my entire flock, including my best rooster ever.. Into HATING ME! I'm the enemy, you see. A slavering terrible monster. Lmao.

Let me give you a snippet of what a visit to my yard and pasture entails:

This listening pleasure lasts the moment I'm seen, until the moment I'm gone no matter how long I stay. Imagine that music for hours as you peacefully garden, 100 yards away or just sitting out on your patio enjoying the sunshine.

My once friendly flock, now think I'm a bloodsucking mink!!

The welsummer roo who started this I've moved to the pen with the ducks way out back ( where this video was recorded ) and I moved the flightiest hens that I'm selling back here as well because I've had it with this roo and his most faithful ladies. However, the impact was made and now no one will dare come to any human anymore.

These pens are now off limits as the moment I open the door to enter, birds explode in all directions and have injured themselves bashing into things as well as ripping through the bird netting that I've fixed ( at night ) 3 times now. See, Mr welsummer wasn't supposed to have girlfriends but they tore out of the other pen and tore INTO his on the way down when I tried to feed them. A nice reward for his great behavior! He loves to crow when people are finally about out of his sight, the arrogant little #&$#)&!

Anyone else have this happen before? I never chase or tease my birds and there's no one else around to do it either. He just started soflty alerting at the sight of me even as I brought the best treats, then would screech at me like I was a hawk and it became this behavior and has been this way for months now. He's going to the pot and if these girls don't sell, so are they!

One roo started it all! What a crazy situation. xD
It's really simple but it seems impossible for many to understand.
The hens are his hens, not yours. He's the boss and quite rightly so.
A rooster attracts hens in feral/freerange conditions by providing treats for his hens.
As far as the rooster is concerned you are trying to attract his hens away from him.
A roosters life without hens is a very very sad life. It's what roosters live for; hens.
A rooster will die for his hens if necessary and having you turn up with treats is competition he just cannot match. Often in such situations this feeding of the roosters hens produces aggressive behavior in the rooster towards the human that supplies the food.
Give the rooster the food and back away and let him call his hens to eat.

Back
Top Bottom